Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Total novice needs help!! Thermostatic control amp problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

lord-snooty

I have an electronic thermostat controller that I want to use to control a heating element. It would do the job directly however it is only rated to 240v 3amps and I need to increase its ability to control 13amps+.

The following paragraph are the basic instructions for setting it up:

Here it is assumed that the set-up is for a heating application so switch terminals 1 and 3 are used. If your are using for a cooling application i.e greenhouse extract fan, then you use switch terminals 1 and 2.

1. Terminals 11 and 12 are for the probe it does not matter which way round they go.
2. Terminals 4 and 5 are the power in to the unit i.e. wire a plug to this, there is no earth. This just powers the unit and has nothing to do with the heater.
3. Terminals 1 and 3 is the switch you require i.e. break the live wire to the heater and pass through these two terminals. So in simple terms, the cable to the heater has three wires, cut the live wire and route it through terminals 1 and 3. Terminal 2 is left blank

My question is how can I achieve this? Is there a simple circuit that I can build to do this (it needs to be simple like me!!) Can this be done with some sort of relay?

Any help / circuit layouts would be much appreciated.

Thanx.

Is the 'output' of the "thermostat controller" a contact closure or something else? If it is contact closure then adding a relay that has the contact and duty ratings ought to be sufficient.

what exactly are you using it for as this can affect what can be done to solve the problem :?:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back