Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Top-up battery charger bank

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjj

Today I made a battery top-up bank for all my rechargeable batteries, because that way I always have a number of charged batteries available.
Procedure:
First I use the Bm110 charger to refresh NimH and NiCad batteries and the BT-C3400-Battery charger to prepare the Li-Ion batteries to about 50% and then keep the topped up with this battery charging bank.
I wonder if there's something like that somewhere available? Although, since my knowledge of electronics is only at hobby level, maybe you got some better ideas on how I could improve it.

Topping up Li-Ion batteries:
Li-Ion batteries last longer on a max. 60% charge I read. That's why I BT-C3400-Battery charger measure their capacity, then charge them to about 50% and use a timer to keep them at 50-60% charged.

Topping up AA +AAA NimH and NiCad batteries:
I bought a number of these Universal chargers and leave the batteries in there, because when they are charged the charger turn off and when the voltage drops they automatically top-up the batteries.

Topping ul NimH and NiCad batteries packs (= 3V6 to 10V8 packs):
First I fully empty the battery pack via a lamp or resistor and then, use a 12V/1A power supply to fully charge the pack until it gets quite a bit warm and then use the top-up battery bank to keep the batteries topped up via a 12/1A + 5V/3A power supply and the timer. Each connection to each battery pack feeds some 200mA current via a diode and a selected resistor. I guess with daily 10Min charging time I should keep them all topped up.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 176
You should NEVER completely discharge a series string of rechargeable battery cells because the weakest one will become dead first then it will become charged backwards by the remaining discharging cells. A cell that is charged backwards probably will be destroyed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back