Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Tool chains For the STM32F4

Status
Not open for further replies.

be80be

I was wondering whats the best set for the STM32F4

Tool chains Iar, Keil, Atollic, Altium.

Last edited:
If you're looking for compiler/linker/debuggers.
IAR/Keil both have limited size free options. They are expensive commercial products though without any kind of non-commercial licensing, so if you want to go all out you pay thousands of dollars for the system.
Rowley Crossworks: This is what I use. Based on the GCC compiler, but the IDE/debugger are simple to use, pretty powerful, and there is a $150 full working non-commercial license option.
You can also try Codered, which is similar GCC based.
GCC/Eclipse/OpenOCD: I have not looked at this option in a while, so I don't know if anyone has made this any easier, but I found it very difficult to get this working. At the time OpenOCD had some troubles with 64bit systems as well. I'm sure they've worked that out. Anyway, totally free.

Those are the only ones I have had experience with.

I've used CodeRed but what I have doesn't work with the on board programmer. I looked at Rowley Crossworks it looks good CodeRed is great but it cost a lot to.

But I found A tool that lets you load with the programmer that's on the ST board could use that with CodeRed

Hi Burt,

I installed the Atollic IDE but I'm still struggling. I have not been able to install a valid driver for the ST-Link USB interface so far.

Regards, Mike

Mike I had a problem like that with a board I have that used LPCXpresso's It was the Link

Hey i just got that stm32F4 board a few days back and havent had much time to play. i couldnt get it working at all in crossworks. Even with the correct tools installed. I get a USB error. Sucks!...
Since i have the weekend off i dont have to sleep much. Hence i can play with it now. So ill give you guys some updates real soon.. hopefully good news :)

So far kind of good news... no usb error but yet another error...

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 443
Mike It looks like this in mine

Attachments

• ST_Link.jpg
    ST_Link.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 412
Mines is different... (Sorry for late reply, i didnt get a email on new post :( )

dongle-jpg.57954

Attachments

• DONGLE.jpg
    DONGLE.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 937
Last edited:
Jason did yours work mine said that at first but it was the wrong driver? When I got it to work it shows up as posted

Or let me rephrase that it shows up as a ST-Link dongle till it loads the driver after that it loads the right driver from the start. when plugged in

Last edited:
Ok I still get the DEBUG error thing but i think i know why. Crossworks supports the STM32F407VG but these are different they are STM32F407VGT6.

Perhaps thats why it cant find the ROM stuff. Its too new for crossworks. I know its not the ST-LINK itself because i can read/write to the MCU using the "STM32 ST-LINK Utility" program itself.

Arg! im going to give up for tonight perhaps heh.. I cant even get uVision to work right with it. Gives me a cant load afx or something like that. So for now ill stop to rest my poor brain. :)

OK here is a conversation with Crossworks support.

ME:
Jason Lopez, Oct-29 03:47 am (BST):

I just got my hands on this demo board and it has a STM32F407VGT6 on board. I see your software supports the STM32F407VG but when i try to use the demo board with ST LINK it says :

Cannot find DEBUG component from ROM table.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks

Rowley:
Michael Johnson, Oct-29 08:49 am (BST):

You'll need to use the 2.1.2 release a preview is here

**broken link removed**
Downloading it now and will give my update shortly

OK More bad new but im sure its probably something i did or didnt do.
Code:
#include "stm32f4_discovery.h"

void main()
{
  while(1)
  {

}
}

I tried to compile the above and get errors:
Building “BlinkChange” in configuration “THUMB Debug” — 6 errors
Linking BlinkChange.elf — 6 errors
cannot find C:/Program Files/Rowley Associates Limited/CrossWorks for ARM 2.1/lib/libm_v7em_t_le.a: No such file or directory
cannot find C:/Program Files/Rowley Associates Limited/CrossWorks for ARM 2.1/lib/libc_v7em_t_le.a: No such file or directory
cannot find C:/Program Files/Rowley Associates Limited/CrossWorks for ARM 2.1/lib/libcpp_v7em_t_le.a: No such file or directory
cannot find C:/Program Files/Rowley Associates Limited/CrossWorks for ARM 2.1/lib/libdebugio_v7em_t_le.a: No such file or directory
cannot find C:/Program Files/Rowley Associates Limited/CrossWorks for ARM 2.1/lib/libc_targetio_impl_v7em_t_le.a: No such file or directory
cannot find C:/Program Files/Rowley Associates Limited/CrossWorks for ARM 2.1/lib/libc_user_libc_v7em_t_le.a: No such file or directory
Build failed

Jason,

Thank you so much for the effort so far. I have a couple mid-terms on Monday but I'm looking forward to getting back to this afterwards.

Cheerful regards, Mike

Here my first go with TrueStudio so far so good it complied

Attachments

• build.jpg
    build.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 426
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back