Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Too many holidays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikebits

Gadzooks, Christmas just ended and already I am having to hit the stores again for Valentines day. For F*^&s sake, what am I rich? No I am not, and we have too many damn holidays if you ask me. I would rather buy a gift when I felt the need rather than a stupid store made holiday told me to.

I wonder how many countries celebrate this stupid make the Hallmark stores and florest rich holiday.

Oh, and the anniversary is not to far off either...Geez I hate shopping.

Gadzooks, Christmas just ended and already I am having to hit the stores again for Valentines day. For F*^&s sake, what am I rich? No I am not, and we have too many damn holidays if you ask me. I would rather buy a gift when I felt the need rather than a stupid store made holiday told me to.

I wonder how many countries celebrate this stupid make the Hallmark stores and florest rich holiday.

That's why I decided to marry my second wife on Valentines day, one less date and gift to remember. At least that's what she says. :)

Now the starter wife was another matter and date :p

Lefty

It makes it all that much more meaningful lol.

That's why I decided to marry my second wife on Valentines day, one less date and gift to remember. At least that's what she says. :)

Now the starter wife was another matter and date :p

Lefty

Now that was brilliant :)
I never thought of such things in the happy woo hoo stage of the relationship.

Last edited:
Holidays exemplify the effects advertising has on our lives -- just like some elections. We are all gullible. The major purpose for hyped holidays is to make money for those who sell related products, like Valentines Day, Sweetest Day (in Ohio, home of American Greetings Card), Mothers' Day, etc.

As for gifts, I had a lot of aunts and uncles while growing up. One uncle in particular gave gifts whenever he saw something that moved him to do so. They were not coordinated with any holiday, and were not all that frequent. Guess which gifts I still remember decades later?

So, Mikebits, I agree with your statement about giving gifts when you feel like it. Unfortunately your SO and children may not agree.

John

Last edited:
I have never been good with dates. When we picked our wedding date I suggest April 15th. My lovely bride agreed. The family did not like the idea of a wedding in the middle of the week and had us move it to the following weekend. Then it was moved again.

My wife has two birthdays. She was born premature and the doctors did not expect her to make it. They held off creating the birth certificate for several days thinking she would cash in. After about 10 days they realized that she was going to make it and did the paperwork. That date is her offical birth day.

It is a good thing my wife is forgiving about me forgetting.

My wife has two birthdays. She was born premature and the doctors did not expect her to make it. They held off creating the birth certificate for several days thinking she would cash in. After about 10 days they realized that she was going to make it and did the paperwork. That date is her offical birth day.

Obviously it's done differently in the USA :p

In the UK you register the specific date of the birth, when you register doesn't matter - although you're supposed to do it within a specific time.

Just for the record I was also born premature (10 weeks prem), and wasn't expected to survive - and as they won't bury you unless you've been christened my parents grabbed a passing Roman Catholic priest in the hospital (where I was taken after been born at my grandmothers house) to christen me. On that occasion I was christened 'David' - later, when despite the odds I survived, I was rechristened Nigel in a methodist chapel.

My birth certificate has Nigel on it, so presumably the name change came fairly quickly, and took place whilst I was still in hospital.

So I have one birthday but two names! :D

Caused a bit of confusion in later years, because my hospital records were still under David!.

If you stop to think about it (greeting card cos. & chocolatiers aside) if you feel that it's an annoyance to celebrate a cherished relationship with your significant other... well, that doesn't exactly speak volumes for the relationship. Your level of enthusiasm in spending an evening with or giving a gift to your partner should be the same, regardless what holiday it is. Right?

If you stop to think about it (greeting card cos. & chocolatiers aside) if you feel that it's an annoyance to celebrate a cherished relationship with your significant other... well, that doesn't exactly speak volumes for the relationship. Your level of enthusiasm in spending an evening with or giving a gift to your partner should be the same, regardless what holiday it is. Right?

I have no problem celebrating my appreciation for my better half. I prefer to do it on my own terms not to have it dictated to me by a holiday controlled by the retail industry.

I think showing appreciation means more when you do it just because, rather than by obligation.

The best present I ever got was when I got an A in my first college Anatomy class (Since I was a bio major). My wife purchased and brought home a microscope for me that day. To me that was the coolest thing, it was completely unexpected and she did it not because of a holiday but just because.

The just because factor is what really counts I think. When it is not expected it means much more.

If you are tired of holidays you should come to Thailand. There are at least two holidays every month.

"Day of the fish" is a monthly holiday, the king's birthday is an anual holiday, and the beginning of the rainy season is celebrated one week, wasting 50,000,000 metric tons of water.

Another good opportunity celebrating is taken if a relative dies. Depending on the financial situation the party might last up to two weeks with monks mumbling their prayers and hot rhythms in between. :D

To let everybody know they are celebrating they use 5,000W amplifiers and huge speaker systems fitted on a truck blasting within a radius of 2km. :(

I have no problem celebrating my appreciation for my better half. I prefer to do it on my own terms not to have it dictated to me by a holiday controlled by the retail industry.

I think showing appreciation means more when you do it just because, rather than by obligation.
I couldn't agree more. Perhaps holidays like Valentines, Sweetest Day and Grandparents days were created for those who live busy, forgetful lives as well as for those who take their partner for granted.

My youngest son was 14 when Martin Luther King Jr's birthday was declared to be a national holiday. I observed that, as a nation gets older, it gets more "heroes" and therefore more holidays. I suggested to him that, eventually, we won't get much work done due to this fact. He suggested that we could have "anti-holidays" - like, everyone has to work on Saturday to celebrate Hitler's and Richard Nixon's birthdays.

I'm not so sure I like the idea.:D

Oh come on...

Oh come on....a card is about $5.00, and a box of chocolates $10.00...doesnt seem too terribly austentatious...and probibly less than the PIC programmer you just bought.
...I await your drubbing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back