Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Weedinator! As many volts as the electric chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClydeCrashKop

Most Helpful Member
Weedinator! The new pesticide-free way to clear your garden. But beware... it packs as many volts as the electric chair
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...n-But-beware--packs-volts-electric-chair.html

This zapper comes with added shock value – the weed exterminator fires a 2,500-volt charge, the same as that used to execute prisoners in electric chairs.
The electricity penetrates the vascular systems of weeds, boiling the water in the plant cells and breaking down the cell walls.
Weeds wilt immediately in a cloud of steam like overcooked vegetables, then dry out and within days disintegrate into the soil.

A few years ago, I made a weed killing device with 18 inches of copper tubing attached to a 3 foot pvc pipe. The copper tubing was connected to 110 volts AC. I swept it across the tops of some wheat shaped weeds that pop up and go to seed if I don't mow for a couple weeks. I was disappointed that the weeds didn't scream or steam or burst into flames. I didn't think about it any more until lately when those weeds are back. So thinking maybe it actually did work, I made another one and did it again this morning.
I also treated some other leafy weeds that I won't mow to see what happens. I measured 1.8 mA at 110 volts. Do you think that little dose of electricity is enough to do any good?

Thinking about this recent thread
Help Designing an Ignition Coil Tester
Maybe that would kill weeds!

Hi Clyde, You would have thought an electric discharge through the weed would have killed it , I'm guessing this is what weeds do really well ... loose their tops , and then grow even stronger. we have a weed called Mares Tail, nothing seems to kill it , leave one mm of root and its back, same with Convolvulus , some chemicals may work but either poison the soil for many months , or are illegal , I think a few 'shocks' on a regular basis may work, or up the volts / current , as most plants (weeds) need leaves to feed the roots. Actually feeding weeds with very high strength fertilizer can also 'exterminate' the perishers.

It is getting personal now.
I am working on an ignition coil weed killer.
We will see how they like that!

I worked with a fellow years ago before I got involved in electronics and things electrical. So I never asked about more detail. He said he would wet his lawn real good and then wearing rubber boots, he fastened a 16p nail to the end of a wooden shovel/rake handle. The nail was attached to a wire and he would touch the nail point to dandelions. The power source was an old neon sign transformer. He said it would cook the roots and kill them. By saturating the soil they would cook deep.

Not sure if he was pulling my leg or not. But that is what he said.

If enough electrical power (Volts + Amps) is used most any living thing stops living.

As far as having the same volts as an electric chair whoopty doo. You need some decent current behind it to do any good.:rolleyes:

What counts is getting the combination of the two up high enough to do some cellular damage. If you don't have the current high enough to destroy enough of the the plants cells just giving it a little shock is about as deadly as giving yourself one. :facepalm:

The neon sign transformer sounds good to me. I have seen where they are used to make a Jacob's ladder.
I was surprised that it was only 1.8 mA at 110 volts. How could you get them to conduct better? Would getting them wet with salt water or baking soda water help or would that just travel through the surface and not through the plant?

From what I recall he claimed one side of the xfmer was to a ground rod near the offending weed and the probe touched the sunshine seeking portion of the weed.

If the transformer output is isolated from the input, couldn't you attach one output wire to earth ground in your power cord?

It is getting personal now.
I am working on an ignition coil weed killer.
We will see how they like that!

Just as a note, I'm with you. It is personal and down right war in my yard. It's so bad I'm taking care of the neighbors yard always spraying and pulling.

kv

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back