Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Toaster Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Butter, icing sugar and cinnamon, that sounds really yummy! Anyone one else have fave toast recipies to share? (I know it's off-topic, but it's fun ain't it!)

Microchips in toasters ..... ???

Yes, before long the toaster will have a MAC address like the other kitchen appliances with microchips, all communicating together over Greentooth protocol with the CCC (central cuisine computer), the microchip installed in the bread bin (or other place keep bread) will have a barcode scanner to identify the bread and send a message warning the Toaster in advance of an impending toast error and transmit the settings, that is providing the central toast database hosted by colin mac (now a billionaire) has provided the live 'toast definition' update in time for toast. :)

24 slices to a loaf around here so just over 4 loaves makes 100 slices. A friend borrowed it for a family reunion.:)
I put bread in and get toast out. Thats about as complicated as I care to make it!:p

My toaster is a standard issue restaurant type General Electric Dimension II series I believe. Its all heavy stainless steel and weighs about 25 pounds.
It has a pair of electronic control blocks and its designed to make toast fast and repeatable.
New they are around $500 - $600 Now a days for a similar unit as I have been told. I got mine from a surplus store for $20 because it was originally set up for 208 - 240 AC power.

If you are really wanting good toast forget that retail store bought junk. Go commercial restaurant grade . They are built to last and are designed specifically to give a good repeatable results every time. ;)

24 slices to a loaf around here so just over 4 loaves makes 100 slices.

Sounds like pretty thin toast :D

I asked for two slices of cheese on toast at a local cafe I call at for breakfast - and they said did I want thin toast or thick toast?.

Presuming they meant normal ready sliced bread, I asked for thick toast - when it arrived, the toast was 1.5 inches thick - and I only managed to eat one and a half slices :eek:

Sounds like pretty thin toast :D

I asked for two slices of cheese on toast at a local cafe I call at for breakfast - and they said did I want thin toast or thick toast?.

Presuming they meant normal ready sliced bread, I asked for thick toast - when it arrived, the toast was 1.5 inches thick - and I only managed to eat one and a half slices :eek:

Around here, a thick piece of toast like that with lots of butter is referred to as "Texas Toast."

So your 3 kW industrial strength catering toaster sounds really good. But doesn't it still have a turny knob on the front of it, and if set wrong it can still burn the toast to the tune of 3 kW! I guess though that it is an improvement, since you don't have to wait long to find it doesn't toast properly, and you can discard the mistakes and try again. Another problem I can see with a 3 kW megatoaster is that a small kitchen will quickly resemble a sauna, that is assume it would fit in the kitchen to start with :)

Theres and old cooking saying about if you cant operate a toaster stay out of the kitchen.
Unless your a dish washer!

The adjustment knobs make it easy to switch between toast, bagels, waffles or pancakes while still having repeatable results for each.

If it does 4 slices of toast in one minute with 3 kw or a standard one does four slices in 4 minutes with 750 watts does it really matter? The same total energy is consumed either way. Just less time is required.

I rarely make more than 8 slices of toast for breakfast so the overall heat dumping in two minutes is rather irrelevant.;)

Last edited:
I remember now the catering toaster at the hotels I've stayed at, the turny knob thing on it controls the speed of the conveyer, and how long the toast is in for. There's often 2 toasters side by side, one for brown and the other for white. I noticed at one hotel I stayed at, the toaster didn't seem to be set correctly, the toast was going through just a little too quickly, but the toast almost OK. Then I discovered why the hotel didn't alter the setting. When I tried adjusting the turnyknob, the toaster conveyer stopped completely and the toast started to smoke, I thought Oh ****!, wondering whether I ought claim I accidently knocked the knob, or whether to set it back where I found it. I chose the latter, but found the turny knob was about impossible to set a reasonable bread intake speed, it was either too fast, or too slow, with the slightest touch on the turny knob almost going from one extreme to the other. After a what was a few seconds (which felt several minutes) of embarrasing attempts to get a reasonable setting, I achieved it, the setting was just a little bit too quickly, just as it was before I fiddled with it. Now I know why it was set like that, because if anyone fiddles with the setting, it screws it up, so it's left well alone!

I remember now the catering toaster at the hotels I've stayed at, the turny knob thing on it controls the speed of the conveyer, and how long the toast is in for.

Actually, those little chain-link conveyor ovens make good SMD PCB small-quantity production ovens.

Darn! Careful, almost got the thread pointed back to electronics again. ;)

I liked Red Dwarf's Talkie Toaster. It had an IQ of about 2000 but was insane.
**broken link removed**
Howdy Doodley Do! I'm Talkie. Talkie Toaster, your CHIRPY Breakfast Companion. Talkie's the Name and TOASTIN'S the game. Welcome to Talkie Toaster's Realm of Toast, the companion website for the popular Yahoo! Red Dwarf club Talkie Toaster's Toast O Rama.
Would anybody like any toast?
Well, if your answer is yes, you're definately in the right place. This is probably the ONLY website on the ENTIRE Internet completely dedicated to ME, Talkie Toaster and my favorite obsession: TOAST.
Although I frequently have smeg-heads attacking me with 14 pound lump-hammers and trying to smash me into little bits, I enjoy toasting bread products quite a bit, almost as much as I do OFFERING grilled bread products to people and providing my user with toast and early morning conversation.
Since I was manufactured by Crapola, Inc., I am not only reliable and durable, but incessantly chirpy and cheerful as well. So, if you're ever depressed or in a bad mood, come on out to my website here and have a look around. That'll fix ya! But if it doesn't, you might even be able to catch me out on Yahoo! toasting away like my perky little self, and if you see me, chat me up. I'll make you some toast and cheer you up so your heart will once again be soft and warm as a blueberry muffin in a toaster's paradise.
Is there anything ever as wonderful as toast?
I didn't think so.
So, anyway, enjoy your trip through my Realm of Toast and have a blast. That is, you have a blast, not you blast me with a bazookoid and leave me in the cargo hold in a thousand million pieces. And keep in mind the question of questions, the age old enigma that mankind has been quizzicly pondering for millenia: "Would anybody like any toast?"

I like my mornings quite. Otherwise I tend to bite.:eek:

Bit like me then ;)
Here's the dialog from part of the episode, it's a fun watch now I've got to go find it on DVD.

Toaster: Howdy doodly do. How's it going? I'm Talkie, Talkie Toaster, your chirpy breakfast companion. Talkie's the name, toasting's the game. Anyone like any toast?
Lister: Look, I don't want any toast, and he doesn't want any toast. In fact, no one around here wants any toast. Not now, not ever. No toast.
Toaster: How 'bout a muffin?
Lister: Or muffins. Or muffins. We don't like muffins around here. We want no muffins, no toast, no teacakes, no buns, baps, baguettes or bagels, no croissants, no crumpets, no pancakes, no potato cakes and no hot-cross buns and definitely no smegging flapjacks.
Toaster: Aah, so you're a waffle man.
Rimmer: Congratulations, Kryten, your vote has just killed everyone.
Holly: [her IQ has been increased to 12,000] Strike a light! I'm a genius again! I know everything! Metaphysics, philosophy, the purpose of being-everything! Ask me a question, any question, and I'll answer it.
Talkie Toaster: Any question?
Holly: Yes.
Talkie Toaster: How to break the speed of light? How to marry quantum mechanics and classical physics? Any question at all, truly anything and you will answer?
Holly: Yes.
Talkie Toaster: OK, here's my question: Would you like some toast?
Holly: No, thank you. Now ask me another.
Talkie Toaster: Do you know anything about the use of chaos theory in predicting weather cycles?
Holly: I know everything there is to know about chaos theory and predicting weather cycles.
Talkie Toaster: Oh, very well. Here's my second question: Would you like a crumpet?
Holly: I'm a computer with an I.Q. of 12,000. You don't seem to understand; I know the meaning of the universe.
Talkie Toaster: That's not answering my question.
Holly: [irritated] No, I would not like a crumpet! Now ask me a sensible question, preferably one that isn't bread related.
Talkie Toaster: Very well. I have a third question. A sensible question. A question that will tax your new I.Q. to its very limits and stretch the sinews of you knowledge to bursting point.
Holly: This is going to be about waffles, isn't it?
Talkie Toaster: Certainly not. And I resent the implication that I'm a one-dimensional, bread-obsessed electrical appliance.
Holly: I apologise, toaster. What's the question?
Talkie Toaster: The question is this: Given that God is infinite, and that the universe is also infinite... would you like a toasted teacake?
Holly: That's another bready question.
Talkie Toaster: It's not just bready. It's quite curranty, too.
Talkie Toaster: [Holly is shutting herself off] Wait, before you go, there is one question, an important one, the others will have to know!
Holly: [alarmed] What? What?
Talkie Toaster: Would you like a cheese and ham Breville?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back