Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

TO-92 equivlants for P-channel IRF9530 N-channel IRFZ44N/IRF530

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlson

Can anybody assist me with equivalents to these mosfets

"A 4-wire stepper motor requires bi-directional current drive which is provided by adding four P-channel IRF9530 Mosfets to the original circuit to form two H-bridge driver circuits. The original IRFZ44Ns can be replaced with IRF530s."

Silicon Chip Online - Circuit Notebook

Current is 1 amp @ 5v, on for 2 seconds, off for 2 seconds on again for 2 seconds and then off for 10 minutes repeating.

Motor is 2.7-7.2v 12 ohm

Also smallest diode

Reducing size of components is critical

Preferably components off the shelf from this supplier

Jaycar Electronics

Thanking you in anticipation

Can anybody assist me with equivalents to these mosfets

"A 4-wire stepper motor requires bi-directional current drive which is provided by adding four P-channel IRF9530 Mosfets to the original circuit to form two H-bridge driver circuits. The original IRFZ44Ns can be replaced with IRF530s."

Silicon Chip Online - Circuit Notebook

Current is 1 amp @ 5v, on for 2 seconds, off for 2 seconds on again for 2 seconds and then off for 10 minutes repeating.

Motor is 2.7-7.2v 12 ohm

Also smallest diode

Reducing size of components is critical

Preferably components off the shelf from this supplier

Jaycar Electronics

Thanking you in anticipation

Circuit powered at 5v (not 12v)

Current draw approx 1amp

The substitutes available are NTE2383, from Active Electronics ( Canada). Check websites from other parts distributors for this reference.

Since it's unwise (IMO) to dissipate more than 250 mW in a TO-92 package, you're looking for a mosfet with an on-resistance of 0.25 ohms or less. Jaycar does not appear to stock such a device. Although you don't include a location in your UserCP, I'm guessing that you might be in Australia or New Zealand because you want to use Jaycar off the shelf.

Most of the really good (small) MOSFET advances for the past 15 years or so have appeared in surface mount. For this application I would consider one of the SO-8 dual MOSFET units from folks like Fairchild, ON, or STMicro. You can get one N-channel and one P-channel in a single SO-8, with logic level gate characteristics, for about US$1.50 or less. It would be rated at 30V, 4A or so.

Thanks mneary

I am from Australia

Are these what you are refering two

Two N's or two P's in apackage

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

A search shows these two devices but apparently not available off shelf

Didn't know if TO-92's would suffice

Any further suggestions?

You have the general idea, but before you go too far at Farnell, select "In Stock Only" in the top section. I get SP8M3FU6TB, 40 available in Aus, US$2.26. Or you can select from a wide variety of SOT23, SOT223 and similar single transistors; and of course SI1970DH-T1-E3 dual N for $1.04 and maybe some dual-P's that I was too lazy to look up.

If I run the motor @ 3vdc the current draw is 44ma.

If the motor is on for 2 seconds off for 2 seconds repeated 4 times (total 8 seconds on 6 seconds off then ten minutes off) is there a TO-92 transistor that would handle this load?

Thanks

44mA opens you up to using a lot of choices like logic chips. Does it have to run in both directions? Do you need to control the speed?

If you are powered at 5V, you must use devices that can be switched with 5V or less on the gate. The devices I suggested are probably your best choice. The original IRF530, IRF9530 etc. don't do well with a gate drive of only 5V so they aren't a good choice even if they were small enough.

You probably could make this work with Bipolar Junction Transistors, but the extra parts would use up your space savings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back