Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

timed repeat cycle relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

jblair41

I need to build or buy a relay that runs a cycle of closed for one hour and open for ~1.5 seconds over and over again.

I have an cable internet service proivder that cuts me off every hour when I am downloading at full bandwidth. It has nothing to due with my dchp lease, I have already checked that. The only way to get back on the internet is turn my modem on and off (my is working just fine also).

The modem uses a 12v dc 1amp power suppy. I was thinking I could cut one of the two wires, that run from the trasfomer to the modem, and attach a always closed relay. Then send a 12v pulse to the coil of the relay once every hour for about a 1.5 seconds, opening the relay, turning my modem off then back on.

Is their a better way? mabye use a flasher to the relay? How can I build what I need?

I know it's an off the wall thing but I would really like any help you guys could give. Thanks,

Joe

Use timer IC 555 in astable mode with off time = 1 hour and on time = 1.5 second. Since the duty cycle is less than 51% you need to use a diode in between pin 6 and 7 as shown in schematic at :

thanks, I have some sodering experance but I have never built a circuit with a chip. I have alot to learn. Are their any variations to the name of that chip? Do you know of a good place for me to start to learn what I need to know to built this?

Thanks
Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back