Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

time to be realistic

Status
Not open for further replies.
the cost of getting someone else to design and implement what i want to do starts in the region of £500k wich i do not have nor can i get, plus at the end of it i wouldnt understand exactly how it works.
I'll do it for half that amount!:)

But do you include free incubator training and a fancy certificate?

I typically do prototype work for the cost of materials and related expenses up front plus 5% of gross sales afterward.
Warranty and follow up work are also included. (if you pay your bills of course.) :eek:
(That means you have to have the money to do the project in the first place and viable market afterward. No money + no market = no work):(

And I will give you the fanciest certificate you can ever imagine if the job pays well enough! :)

Maybe I should check with my wife first.

Depending on the her mood she may insist you do it just to get rid of you! :D

lol all great offers! if only it was that simple!! my problem is i know what biological systems i need to target and alter i dont know how to do it electronicaly. there are some systems out there that are upto 17% more efficient than a hen (actually hens arnt that great at hatching eggs) but even the best systems are 78-82% at best! in commercial terms that leaves plenty of room to improve. and when u consider the size of the industry that equates to huge sums of money.
last year i was offered a research grant to look into it further, unfortunately it was withdrawn when the banking crisis hit.i am going to have a word with the university and see if i am able to pay just for the classes i need :D maybe i should throw it wide open and offer shares in a new company share the profits from the sale of any new equipment we develop :D trouble with that is there wont be any fast returns alot of work needs to be done first

What other parameters have to be monitored in order to optimize the yield?

I'm guessing,
Temperature,
Humidity,
Lighting,
Turning.

They all seem fairly easy to maintain. What am I missing?

Mike.

Last edited:
Tempreture........ optimum tempretue varies througout the incubation period sometimes by as little 3f also alot of breeds need a slight cooling period once to twice a day, this is a little tricky as its the core temp that matters here not ambient air temp.

Humidity.......very very important that the correct humidity is maintained it plays a vital vole in development not just hatching rates but affects many aspects of the embryo.

lighting only seems to have a role in the last few days when eggs are moved from the incubator into the hatcher.
Turning again matters alot of rubish is spouted about only turning a odd number of times in a day and doing 3,5 or seven times. the reality is correct turning can have a large impact on defects at hatching and size of chick hatched.

candling is important and can affect many of the other aspects of incubation. a dead egg in an incubator is doing nothing but take up space,costing money and a potential source of bacteria

oxygen and carbon dioxide play very subtle roles in both vigor hatchability and one area thats little known is that they play a significant role in the sex ratio of the chicks. it is little understood and one area i am continuing to do the most research on.

then you have bacterial control, whole batches can be lost if the bacterial load is too high.

all theese things are being applied to chickens in this case but i am shareing research with the RSPB and london zoo, everything that i am trying to do can equaliy be applied to other rare bird species.

i agree with mike that on the face of it all seem easy to control and indeed they are if you want hatch rates and quality that equates to the norm. to use an anology it isnt that hard to design and build a normal car and it will get you from A -B adequately, but you cant build a F1 car the same way. tolerances matter.
Farming is changeing and indeed needs to we have to take a more scientific approach theese days in order to maximise yeilds, i would prefer to do it by working with nature and enhancing what a chicken does that go down the road of eggless hatching that some scientist are currently doing

Tempreture........ optimum tempretue varies througout the incubation period sometimes by as little 3f also alot of breeds need a slight cooling period once to twice a day, this is a little tricky as its the core temp that matters here not ambient air temp.

Humidity.......very very important that the correct humidity is maintained it plays a vital vole in development not just hatching rates but affects many aspects of the embryo.

lighting only seems to have a role in the last few days when eggs are moved from the incubator into the hatcher.
Turning again matters alot of rubish is spouted about only turning a odd number of times in a day and doing 3,5 or seven times. the reality is correct turning can have a large impact on defects at hatching and size of chick hatched.

candling is important and can affect many of the other aspects of incubation. a dead egg in an incubator is doing nothing but take up space,costing money and a potential source of bacteria

oxygen and carbon dioxide play very subtle roles in both vigor hatchability and one area thats little known is that they play a significant role in the sex ratio of the chicks. it is little understood and one area i am continuing to do the most research on.

then you have bacterial control, whole batches can be lost if the bacterial load is too high.

all theese things are being applied to chickens in this case but i am shareing research with the RSPB and london zoo, everything that i am trying to do can equaliy be applied to other rare bird species.

i agree with mike that on the face of it all seem easy to control and indeed they are if you want hatch rates and quality that equates to the norm. to use an anology it isnt that hard to design and build a normal car and it will get you from A -B adequately, but you cant build a F1 car the same way. tolerances matter.
Farming is changeing and indeed needs to we have to take a more scientific approach theese days in order to maximise yeilds, i would prefer to do it by working with nature and enhancing what a chicken does that go down the road of eggless hatching that some scientist are currently doing

eggs need a certain amount of carbon dioxide too much oxygen causes deformities, also the carbon dioxide provides a slightly acidic barrier inside the egg at the membrane wich acts as a inportant microbe barrier.

Sounds like you already know what you want to do, and how you want to go about it. All tahts left is research and tinkering!! Sensors, a microcontroller development board...and you're laughing.

well i have a june bug on the way.books coming thick and fast lol. i am also clearing an old out building and i will use that as a test hatchery and electronics workshop so its all seperate from the main operation.
at present we are closed down on the incubation side of things but will be operational again starting end of feb so i have a little free time at the mo. i dont have such a big involment with the other aspects of the farm except general running.

A simple monitoring solution would be to make a few 'Smart Eggs' that have specific sensors in them to get direct 'as the eggs see it' data.

If they are made to have the same basic properties as the normal eggs they should give fairly accurate reference data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back