Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Time to Amplitude

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krenzo

Does anyone know of any ICs available for purchase that operate as a Time to Amplitude circuit? I am wanting to time the interval between two pulses. I am aware of ACam's Time to Digital chip, but it seems more expensive than a time to amplitude circuit and an ADC together.

Isn't time-to-amplitude just an integrator? Maybe more details signal types?...voltages...periods?...???

Ken

What is the duration of the interval and the accuracy you need?

I suspect that Acam's device is the only single chip solution out there for that, other than using a microprocessor.

Well, yes, it's essentially an integrator. Currently, I have a FPGA with a capacitor and ADC that gets me time resolution down to about 100-200 picoseconds resolution. The FPGA is the course timer (10 ns interval measurement) while the cap and ADC are the fine timer (0 to 10 ns interval measurement). The FPGA only operates around 100-200 MHz which is why I can only get down to 100-200 picoseconds resolution with my 8 bit ADC. The Acam chip has resolution down to 10 ps which is where I would like to get around. I was looking for a TAC chip that would do this to match that resolution, but instead, I'm having to design a circuit board that will use a shift counter in the GHz range to get the higher resolution that I'm after. I'm still a novice at this so I would rather not have to deal with the time and money it's going to take to design and debug it.

I'm planning on using this to measure time of flight of UWB pulses. The UWB pulse starts the timer, and the local clock stops the timer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back