Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Tilt sensors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slade2000

Hi im new on the forum and new in electronics, so sorry for the stupid questions.

What i want to do is build a stabilizing arm to fit on a vehicle.

What im thinking, using dual axis tilt sensor to monitor forward tilt, backward tilt and side to side tilt motion of the car while driving and with that signals automaticly adjust stepper motors.

Will this work and if so how will i go apart to do this?

Tnx allot

Last edited:
Ok grate tnx. But will the accelerometer work with tilting at angles at about 40 deg?

How can i build a simple usb pic controlled stepper driver.

"Build", "Simple" and "USB" really don't go together. USB is really hard for hobbyists. Leave it alone.

If you need to communicate with a PC, use serial. If you don't have a serial port, buy a cheap USB to serial converter and use that.

It is quite easy to interface a microcontroller with I2C tilt sensors or with stepper motors.

The tilt sensor that I suggested has a range of +/- 2 g. If you mount it horizontally, 40 deg of tilt gives you about 0.6 g. That would use about 1/3 of the available range, which is OK, but not ideal.

If you are gong over rough terrain (40 degrees sounds like serious off roading) then the stepper motors would have to react quite rapidly. Make sure you pick one fast and powerful enough to move the stabilizing arm at the desired speed.

Slade 2000,

Interesting project, can you give some more information about this stabilization arm? It sounds like something you will want to control with servos and not steppers. Will probably be cheaper and you can get an exact position from the encoders.

Tnx for all the input. I have changed my plans abit to make it easyier. What would you sagest wil work the best to stabilize a platform on the roof of the car, then ill just mount it on there. wouldint the tilt sensor be efected by g pull if the vehicle turns even tho it is level?

Tnx for all the input. I have changed my plans abit to make it easyier. What would you sagest wil work the best to stabilize a platform on the roof of the car, then ill just mount it on there. wouldint the tilt sensor be efected by g pull if the vehicle turns even tho it is level?

If you want to keep it level to the horizon independent of the centrifugal force of turning then you need to use a gyroscope, not a tilt sensor.

A tilt sensor will keep it aligned to the combined force of gravity and the turning force (for example a glass of water on the platform would not spill either when turning and/or going up a hill).

Ok im with u on this one. can i use a dual axis gyro or must i go for tri axis? and do u maybe hava a sample of what gyro i can bay?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back