Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

three terminal voltage regulators..changing the voltage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you put something in a car, the tansorb and reverse polarity protection is mandatory.

I've thinking about this aspect of LEDs in a vehicle and wonder if I can do the neccessary with some salvaged bits in a diiferent way. Havn't discovered how to post diagrams so, in text: Take a supply from a 7amp fuse (for all the lighting) and run it ito a ferrite choke. Across the choke input connect a 1uf cap and a reversed BYV29-300i n parallel to ground. On the "out" side connect a 10,000uf electrolytic. This then feeds onto voltage regs and various LED lights

The choke, salvaged from the ambulance, was the output trsfmr of the siren generator. it's a toroid 2.2 inches diameter and fully wound with about 2 layers 18swg wire. (the old windings I've connected in series) Resistance is too low to measure
The diodes are "very fast" and were snipped from the old flourescent light drivers that the LEDs are replacing. The caps are from the junk box.

How well might this work in removing spikes.? I also wonder how some of the voltages we concerned with can actually exist across the battery terminals. Surely the battery itself would sink them as I'm thinking of it a low impedance shunt regulator..What do you think ?

I also wonder how some of the voltages we concerned with can actually exist across the battery terminals.
They are fast transit spikes thats why every one is saying to use a transorb if you are that concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back