Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Three state indicator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boncuk

Hi,

I'm about building an Li-Ion charge circuit for my camera since the orignal one is lost.

The charger IC is the BQ24200 (TI) with a tri-state status output pin.

When the battery is being charged that pin has high state (VDD-1.5V), when charging terminates it goes low (0.5V) and on any fault condition it goes to high-z state.

I intend to indicate all three states using LEDs.

Attached is a schematic (high, low and high-z) with all three LEDs lit according to the status output of the chip.

Is there any more elegant way than using a window comparator for this?

Boncuk

Attachments

• HIGH.gif
    HIGH.gif
    12.9 KB · Views: 233
  • LOW.gif
    LOW.gif
    12.9 KB · Views: 182
  • HIGH-Z.gif
    HIGH-Z.gif
    12.9 KB · Views: 185
A resistor + LED to gnd will indicate charging, same to Vdd will indicate charged. A PNP + NPN biased at 1/2 Vdd with an LED between collectors will indicate floating. See attached.

Mike.

Attachments

• float.png
    float.png
    11 KB · Views: 190
hi Hans,
Ref your PM of last week, didnt you like my suggested circuit.?

I see that Mike has posted virtually the same elegant solution.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
hi Hans,
Ref your PM of last week, didnt you like my suggested circuit.?

I see that Mike has posted virtually the same elegant solution.:rolleyes:

Hi Eric,

nothing to be worried about. I did exactly what you suggested: Have the output pulled on 1/2VDD and use a window comparator. It works fine in the simulation, but a few chips too much.

Regards

Hans

A resistor + LED to gnd will indicate charging, same to Vdd will indicate charged. A PNP + NPN biased at 1/2 Vdd with an LED between collectors will indicate floating. See attached.

Mike.

Thank you Mike,

I'll simulate it first and then ripup my schematic and PCB design. :)

Regards

Hans

Seems like the perfect use for one 8-pin PIC.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back