Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Those ceiling fans...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Externet

There is many types, different configurations, with more capacitors, with less or no capacitors...
Someone was playing with one, and replacing the 3 speed switch left it with all wires hanging and no clue how they were connected. There is clearly no standards for wire colors.
Would like to resurrect it but do not know if there is a sistematic procedure to identify which wire is what and where connects. Searching the web, see no clear guides to do it.
I read there are typically two windings; how to identify which is start and which is run ? This particular fan has a two capacitors in one package, one wire on one side, two wires on the other.
Any magician around that can help ?

Extranet:

You owe me for this one.

My favorite website is his one: https://www.hurontel.on.ca/~taitg/pages/cfan.html

My second favorite site is this one: https://www.ceilingfanparts.com/images/pullchainsw.htm

In any event most of the fans select one cap, then the other and then both in parallel.

One of the windings will have a lower resistance than the other one. I THINK the lower resistance winding is the main winding. That can be verified with a web search which I did.

The AUX wiring is in series with the capacitor. The winding R is much higher for the aux winding.

Any playing, you can always use a say a tungsten light bulb in series maybe a little less wattage than the fan. Try 1/2 with no blades/

There is ONE thing that kills these fans: Moving the direction switch without being stopped. That slide switch can;t take the inductive load.

Measuring low resistances can be fun in itself.

Note, that with the second website, there are too many variations, but I think you have the simple 2 phase, 3 different value caps type fan.

I'd have to really search for the "which winding" is which, but I THINK the lower R is in series with the caps.

--

since you have a mess, pretend you have a single capacitor (e.g. the parallel combination of the three wire cap), no switches and two windings.

Identify the windings by measuring the resistances.

You can stop here if you want.

If reverse is wrong, you can just turn over the switch, but sometimes it isn't as easy as it looks. The fan direction switches have tapped holes. It can be a mess if you don't have them. So, it might make sense to get the direction found early.

Replacing a direction switch is not fun, but if you order one, it comes with all the pigtails making it easy.

EDIT: Made some Edits

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back