Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Thermocouple, grounded or ungrounded check

Status
Not open for further replies.

slepax

Hello,

I am wondering if there's a way to know whether the thermocouple I have is grounded or ungrounded? Would it be fair to assume the ungrounded type would have zero resistance from the negative connector to the shield?

Thanks!

I would expect a shielded device may be have a the shield separate to conductors, this leaves the option open whether to earth ground a device conductor or not, the shield is usually connected to GND at the source end.
Max.

"grounded" thermocouples are a "special case" of the rule your citing. Yes, there will be a connection to the "sheath" as it's normally called from both wires. "zero resistance" is hard to achieve.

Grounded thermocouples have a much better response time. Ungrounded ones play better with instrumentation.

Depends on your definition of zero - 0.000000000 (infinite number of zeros)

The point, I was trying to make is that wire has finite resistance, likely in mlilliohms. I had to worry at both extremes with currents from about 2 pA to 3000 A and I had to worry about mV drops near say 400 mV.

grounding can create another bimetallic thermal voltage. so generally not done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back