Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Thermal fuse ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClydeCrashKop

Most Helpful Member
I have a 1993 Mercury Capri with only 10,000 miles on it. The excerpt below is regarding the airbag controller.

NOTE: The diagnostic monitor contains an internal thermal fuse that is not serviceable. The thermal fuse is controlled by the diagnostic monitor. The diagnostic monitor will blow its thermal fuse whenever a short on the deployment circuits occurs. The thermal fuse does not blow because of excessive current flowing through it. DO NOT attempt to jumper across the thermal fuse with a circuit breaker or any other type of fuse.
CAUTION: Do not install a new diagnostic monitor until the short has been located and corrected.
From the Capri forum I found out that just humidity can make the controller blow its fuse. (Design flaw) The short is gone and the diagnostic monitor is $200.00. The thermal fuse looks like a glass reed switch and is located inside a tiny box, next to the heater that blows it. Somewhere they said it is 10 amps but they melt it intentionally with heat.
Does anyone know where I can get a 10 amp, thermal fuse like this?

Doesn't sound like a real fuse, sounds like a thermally triggered switch. There has to be more than two wires going to it right?

No, just 2 axial leads. The burnt one has a metallic black area on the inside of the glass tube. There are no end caps like an automotive fuse. Like a 1/8 inch blown glass tube.
Actually, the little plastic box with the heater and thermal fuse might come as an assembly with 4 leads and look like a small PCB relay. I would be happy to get that.

Last edited:
Have you tried Radio Shack? As the equivalent store in the UK, Maplin Electronics, stocks a range of them (in 9 temperature ratings from 93°C to 240°C):

**broken link removed**

(NB If you click the 'Specification' tab, you will see that they are rated at 10 Amp).

Thanks Sceadwian,
I found them. Also known as TCO, thermal cut out.
I also found out something about Googling and will post it in **** Chat.

Last edited:
Thanks Hysteresis
That is even better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back