Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

theravadaz

Status
Not open for further replies.

theravadaz

I have a 240 volt water boiler with a capacity of 1.5 liters that is heated by a single ribbon of, presumably, nichrome, beneath. I want to convert it to 120 volts. I read somewhere that I can double the length of the same gauge material, but if this were correct it would still not work because the ribbon fits in a channel. I think that alternatively I could change the guage of the ribbon. Is there a formula for this or a good rule of thumb? Does anyone have a solution to this general problem?

-Mach

First, let me congratulate you on coming up with one of the least useful Thread Names.... Still, I guess it is better than "Help me please", which denotes nothing at all about what the question is about...

A crude fix is do nothing and just power the existing heater with 120V. It will just take four times longer to heat the water...

Or since √P = V/√R, for constant power, choose R(120V) = 1/4*(R)(240V). This means for your heater strip, you'll need a wire diameter that is 2 times larger than the one you presently heave. But now you probably have the same problem fitting it into the channel.

Last edited:
(240 to 120 V resistance circuit (was Theravadaz)

thanks BO that clears it up: the relationship is linear as the only component of resistance is the energy dissapated as heat which is directly related to the mass of the ribbon. (A good Newbie first topic!)

On closer inspection the ribbon seems to be a conductor that is soldered to the real heating element which is custom made. The only solution it seems is to design a circuit which will increase the voltage to 240 V and supply at least the necessary Amps to maintain 1 liter of water boiling.

I bought this water boiler in Cambodia for $5 retail. It is stainless steel and will last a lifetime and can be repaired. Here in the U.S. a replacement would cost over $60 and be made of plastic.

-theravadaz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back