Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Theory of getting older

Status
Not open for further replies.

throbscottle

I think I've figured out why time passes more quickly as you get older.
When you are 2, a year is half your life. Half your life, wow, that's a really long time! 50%.
When you get to be 100, a year is only 1% of your life.
So, 1% of your life when you are 2 is only a week.
Does this mean when I am 100, a year will only seem like a week? Certainly looking that way, half-way there and I'm already missing whole months...

When you are young you are full of hope and waiting for the next exciting event is unbearable. The closer Christmas day gets, the longer it seems to take to arrive.

When you are old, you have abandoned all hope and have nothing to look forward to, so time passes un-noticed and has no importance.

.... unless you are lonely - then time passes unbearably slowly again.

Am I depressing anyone? ;):(:arghh:

Skip to 3:42 (if it doesn't automatically):

I think our perception of time is based on the interval between interesting events. When we are young, nearly everything is new and interesting, so our time 'unit' is short. In later life, we've been there, done that, so the interval between new and interesting events is longer.

I think our perception of time is based on the interval between interesting events. When we are young, nearly everything is new and interesting, so our time 'unit' is short. In later life, we've been there, done that, so the interval between new and interesting events is longer.
Can confirm. Was feeling like time was passing by quickly then I was sent to work in Boston for sporadically for a total of 6-8 months spready over a 1 year period. That time flew by while I was doing it but remembering back makes it feel like it was a lot longer than remembering the 3 years after that when I was working back at home again.

One side effect is looking back and thinking what you coulda, what you shoulda done, and all the mistakes you made you wish you could do a re-wind and replay.
If have none, you're lucky.;)
Max.

One side effect is looking back and thinking what you coulda, what you shoulda done, and all the mistakes you made you wish you could do a re-wind and replay.
If have none, you're lucky.;)
Max.
I don't have none but I don't waste any time thinking about them so, essentially, it feels like none.

Also, time goes more slowly when you put milestones in your life (two months to two years out). That way, you have something to look forward to. As said above, when you are little, you keep looking ahead to the next milestone (Christmas, birthday, end of school year, graduation, drinking age, college graduation, ...

After 50, there are not many events in life to look forward to except pushing up daisies. So, take charge and Plan a trip to really interesting location where you have never been for 2-years from now. Plan in detail at least 18months in advance - plan to such a degree you can hardly wait to smell the food, walk on the beach, hear the waves crash onto shore, ride a palamino. I can assure you that the next 18-months will pass painfully slow.

Slightly OT, but a funny for those of us who are a little older and wiser...

Two bulls in a field, looking down the pasture, at the herd of hot cows.
The youngster says to the older bull, "Man, I'm gonna run down there as fast as I can and service the first couple I can get to!"
The older says to the younger bull, "Go ahead kid, I'm gonna stroll down there and service the rest...."

:D

Slightly OT, but a funny for those of us who are a little older and wiser...

Two bulls in a field, looking down the pasture, at the herd of hot cows.
The youngster says to the older bull, "Man, I'm gonna run down there as fast as I can and service the first couple I can get to!"
The older says to the younger bull, "Go ahead kid, I'm gonna stroll down there and service the rest...."

:D
Had the young bull not been there the old bull had 50/50 chance without his glasses ;)

I concur with a former head of the Naval Observatory Time division .... Time is man-made and irrelevant. He didn't wear a watch.

Naval Observatory Time division

Watches are for people who need to know the time. He had no need, there was an abundant supply clocks all around him.
I carry a cell phone so I always have a perfectly accurate source of current time -therefore, I have t worn a watch in 20-years.

An image of just one wall in the Naval Observatory's Time Division...
(Another wall has clocks set to each of the time zones American soil occupies).

4EE9049C-C80E-41F6-AEFA-034EADA61174.jpeg

I stopped wearing a watch because it made my arm ache.

i don't feel old when listening to music...

Right now, I have had the new job of intense "caregiving" for a parent for over 9 months especially when your broken yourself. I got very little "direct training". I'd guess the only training I got was a) diaper changing for an adult (incomplete); b) Re-positioning tricks c) Some wound care of skin tears by observation of a lousy job, d) emptying a catheter and e) Getting a pt. to and from a wheelchair. It has been suggested that I don;t do (d). it's too risky for my health and my mom's to do alone.

"Poop coaching" is an interesting job too. There is the 10-minute wait time.

Logistics: There are still some things I don't have good solutions for such as a) Opening/closing the verticle blinds and b) Unlocking the door.
c) I need something to keep stuff from falling out of the bed (solid acrylic) - Not done yet. d) Would like the V to mute when the phone rings.

The hospice doc does things differently. It's more observe rather than test, so diabetes is monitored by looking at urine color and log book.

Useful solutions implemented were: a) As needed pain meds using a pill bottle attached with a string. b) Bed Rail: Flashlight; c) Bed rail: Credenza dimmer for floor lamp d) bed rail: cordless phone as a nurse call; e) baby monitor to monitor phone ringing in laundry room and bedroom; f) Phone line off hook lamp; g) Upgrade the cordless phones to Ni-nH batteries; h) Swap at bedtime and morning; I) Bed rail: Pen on a string; J) Angle meter for head board so it does not cause pain; k) Use gravity to help reposition by pulling on bed protector; l) Heal lift boots to allow a 100% fix a pressure ulcers from a "facility stay". J) Sacrum pressure ulcer received in a facility down from stage 2 to a minor Stage l) transfer using a gait belt and transfer board; m) Catheter hanging n) Bedside power for nebulizer and convienence outlet for vacuum cleaner/hair dryer/curling iron. o) Cord hanging (velcro). p) hanger for pick-up tool.

We use the lid on a 7-day pill planner as a reminder to change a patch every 3 days.

The lamp is due for an upgrade. It's currently a 300 W incadesent lamp. A 6100 Lumen Mogul base (E39) dimmable 5000K LED lamp is in the works. The initial string used was upgraded to brick-laying red string. The phone still needs a little help. probably, the next thing addd will be a charger base on a string. The OFF Hook LED was added because it was easy to hit keys and knock the phone off the hook.
I'd like that to really be something like off the hook and not talking for 0, 5, 15, 30 minutes. I'd also like to have an instantaneous one in my room. I'm very hard to wake at times and so is mom, actually. I won;t wake up using the intercom function of the cordless phone.

Wound-care is a science and I had to learn that science much better than the nurse. I've been told that the wounds on her legs are uncurable. They are essentially a large area red pigment under the skin and will re-occur if bumped really hard. I believe they are curable, but I ran out of supplies.

One outfit treating moms wounds didn;t use non-stick gauze on a fresh wound and their bandages would come off in about 3 hours.
I used a different tape than they did (Micropore) which can be used on the skin.

Some interesting stuff to use for wound care include Daikin's solution (very low concentration sterile bleach and water); 0.9% Saline; Oil emulsion dressings; Hydrocoloid dressings; Hydrogel dressings; Insulin used topically; locally nearby injected insulin; Microcyn, skin prep and medical Honey. I know I will be adding some perenium cleaner to help remove feces and urine. You need to date the bandage.

I upped a medication called Lactulose before getting the dr's OK. It;s basically sugar based and causes the bowel to absorb moisture.
It's available without a script in other countries and the amount was way below the maximum. Mom really wanted to raise the dose and I agreed. It got approved.

I started and stopped Oxygen therapy on my own based on Pulse-ox results. I know what bad lungs sound like with a stethescope. I can take Blood pressure and respiration if I have to. Can also take temperature. I know what to do if blood pressure is low. I know how to initially treat wounds. Now, I know of some better ways of removing gaze bandages soaked with blood and better ways to wound clean.

17% Hydrogen peroxide will easily remove blood from clothes and rugs, It will turn your fingers white and should be refrigerated.

They have said I've been doing a very good job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back