Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The popups are getting ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pommie

Most Helpful Member
I was just replying to a thread when a popup advert popped up over the submit button and there was no way to close it. This was on a Samsung tablet and makes the site almost unusable. BTW, I've no idea what the popup was about as I NEVER read them.

Mike.

There is usually a tiny gray X near the upper right corner of the pop-ups. Usually over some text, so nearly impossible to see.

Very annoying to be sure, and ignored.

On the tablet it's particularly bad as the keyboard takes up half the screen and the gray x isn't visible. I'm guessing it's the same for people using phones.

Mike.

I thin

Screenshot_20210117-001329.png

I couldn't finish the post, I had to close and reopen to finish the post. Nice work web developers. No chance to click the close , the ad is too big for the frame. Let me know when it's fixed cuz, as Pommie said, crazy, stupid or what ever. I don't even look at the ads anyhow - just close the window and relaunch as soon as a pop-up comes into the frame. Maybe we just send emails to "Microch" - how is that pronounced? "My croch"? Too bad the whole logo isn't showing. Usually big companies are pretty particular how the logo appears. Oh well, maybe that's the whole logo.

I'm lucky cause I never see these popups. Android 10 on a Xiaomi 9C with Firefox Lite as the browser. No ad blockers installed.

The only tablets i have are small round and white.. {fun} , I only see popups once a session if that.. (PC and Firefox,)

As a mod, we don't get them at all, But If I sign out, it does look like its getting bad.. I believe Dave knows about it..
As a non-moderator, I am getting ads whether logged in or not. Comes when I first click or type the url to enter the site from another site. I do not get it when clicking between pages within this site.

I'm guessing the ads only pop up for listed countries speaking English.

I am getting that pop up rather frequently. Started to be like that some months ago.
The "x" is visible in my PCs.
Down here, common people speaks castellano.

I've no idea what the popup was about as I NEVER read them.
Same here. I object to the intrusion. I never respond to or purchase anything in a 'pushed' ad.

Here's a picture of a popup I just got. It's typical of all the rest.

See the X to close it? On my phone, it's typically off the right of the screen, so I have to drag the picture over.

Screenshot_20210121-133202_Edge.jpg

Can't see it? Really?

It's on the stem of the "d". I'm certain the tiny symbol, the location and the fact that the color is almost identical is merely coincident. [/sarcasm]

Screenshot_20210121-133202_Edge.jpg

Can't see it? Really?

It's on the stem of the "d". I'm certain the tiny symbol, the location and the fact that the color is almost identical is merely coincident. [/sarcasm]
Really! See post #4. My android phone won't let me drag the ad and the close x is not visible, so, yes, Really.

On my Android, I can drag it to the left, exposing the nearly invisible X.
Oh. ... congratulations?
Are you implying mine must work if yours does? Or something else?

Oh. ... congratulations?
Are you implying mine must work if yours does? Or something else?

I made a simple observation and statement that on my particular Android phone, I can drag the screen over, find the nearly invisible X and close the pop-up. Perhaps other people with Android phones can try dragging the screen to the left to see if it exposes the X so they can close the pop-up too.

I don't know what your Jitterbug phone is capable of, so I wasn't making any observation about you or your phone.

Haven't seen any pop-up recently (thank goodness). Has this feature been removed, or have I just been lucky?

I had them every click yesterday on my phone but nothing today on my tablet - so far.

Try the Brave browser. It blocks most ads & cross-site-trackers on most sites (including youtube, which is almost unbearable otherwise).

As an aside, it's based on the google chrome codebase, so it's a capable browser.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back