Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The nominal HV programming voltage (Vpp) is not always 13 Volt

Status
Not open for further replies.

ljcox

I recently discovered - by looking at some of the files in the MPLAB IDE Device folder (see Program Files (x86)\Microchip\MPLAB IDE\Device) - that the nominal programming voltage (Vpp) is not always 13 Volt. Some examples (taken from the respective .dev files) are shown below - note that the PIC 16F684 is 11 Volt nominal with a maximum of 12 Volt!

PIC16F84
vpp (range=12.000-14.000 dflt=13.000)

PIC16F88
vpp (range=12.500-13.500 dflt=13.000)

PIC12F675
vpp (range=12.750-13.250 dflt=13.000)

PIC16F684
vpp (range=10.000-12.000 dflt=11.000)

PIC16F917
vpp (range=10.000-12.000 dflt=11.000)

All of the PIC programming hardware I have seen are designed to apply about 13 Volt. So I don’t know what would happen if one of these was used to programme a 16F684 or a 16F917.

I recently purchased three 16F684 PICs so I intend to modify my programmer so I can switch it between a 11 and 13 Volt using a jumper shunt.

One of the programmers I constructed is the dSPIC/PIC Programmer published by Silicon Chip in their May 2008 issue. This one will be easy to modify so I will do it in the new year and post the details in this forum.

The original Pickits 2 /3 have a PWM style VPP generator... This means they can generate the correct VPP for the chip chosen..... I wouldn't use any other programmer..... I my opinion, it costs nearly as much to make one as it is to buy one.. Every time I see this topic, someone has had a headache for some reason or another.... For less than £30 why go through the ordeal!!!

i remember that above 10.5V , it should work without any issues.the voltage depends on other factors like load on Vtarget and thereby on the Vusb

The original Pickits 2 /3 have a PWM style VPP generator... This means they can generate the correct VPP for the chip chosen..... I wouldn't use any other programmer..... I my opinion, it costs nearly as much to make one as it is to buy one.. Every time I see this topic, someone has had a headache for some reason or another.... For less than £30 why go through the ordeal!!!
It cost me very little to make mine as I had most of the parts on hand.
I don't find it is a ordeal. All I need to do is add a jumper shunt & a resistor or 2 so I can alter the voltage from 13 to 11 when necessary.

Thanks for the responses.

Just supply 13.6v via a 10k resistor and each chip will take care of itself.

You need 13.6v for some chips.

It's the same pin but it has 2 functions.
MCLR -Master Clear, resets the chip when it goes low so if MCLR is enabled, it needs to be held high via a 10k resistor for the chip to work.
Vpp is the high voltage mentioned above that is used to initiate programming of the chip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back