Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The future of computing....

Status
Not open for further replies.

tansis

Posted a little while ago, has improved with age,
now makes for fascinating reading. As both a history lesson for the newbies and a reminder to us "old folks" of just how much has changed.

**broken link removed**

I remember my first PC, my dad brought it home from work, it was a 386 (WITH the math coprocessor :lol: ) and a 129Mb hard drive. It's amazing how much this stuff has changed even in my short life...I'm only 21

first computer I used properly was a sinclair zx81 with 1k of ram, no colour, no sound, and a membrane keyboard. First pc, a standard ibm clone with v20 8mhz processor.

kensplace2 said:
first computer I used properly was a sinclair zx81 with 1k of ram, no colour, no sound, and a membrane keyboard. First pc, a standard ibm clone with v20 8mhz processor.

I thorughly envy you man....

The first one I ever used was as 80186(I think) and had 60kb RAM 20 MB HDD (Original IBM PC XT). My father paid 1000 marks for it in Germany.

Now 15 Mb of the 20Mb is in bad sectors. It had a hercules card and an orange monitor.

My first computer was Apple 11. No hard disk, 48Kram, one 5.25 flopydisk.

At the same periode I used office computer TRS80 (radio shack)

...With 8'' Flopy drive.

After that I dis not have my own PC til I bought 486. I used Office PCs.

My second computer was a 80486 with HD and 3.5 floppy, Later updated to pentiam.

The first computer I had any dealings with was a sperry univac 1108 mainframe. It was good exercise walking from one end of it to the other, and a full time job repairing it. It had 1m*32 bit (I think) memory and a clock of about 1Mhz.

tansis said:
Posted a little while ago, has improved with age,
now makes for fascinating reading. As both a history lesson for the newbies and a reminder to us "old folks" of just how much has changed.

**broken link removed**
Nice article. My first computer was in 1999, Celeron 333 32MB RAM and 4GB HDD. I liked it a lot. I am glad that many changed from 1970's. :p

Jay.slovak said:
Nice article. My first computer was in 1999, Celeron 333 32MB RAM and 4GB HDD. I liked it a lot. I am glad that many changed from 1970's. :p

You missed out on a LOT! Jay, those were the great days! - before IBM became involved in home computers.

My first computer was a Tangerine Microtan 65, it was a 6502 based machine that you built yourself, it predated the ZX81.

You should bear in mind that a PIC running at 4MHz has considerably more power than those old machines, the Microtan used a 750KHz clock. By missing those days you missed out on a lot of stuff which you now do with PIC's, a great deal of which was developed back then.

I still have a great fondness for the 6502, I'd love a single IC (like a PIC) but based round a 6502.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Jay.slovak said:

You missed out on a LOT! Jay, those were the great days! - before IBM became involved in home computers.

My first computer was a Tangerine Microtan 65, it was a 6502 based machine that you built yourself, it predated the ZX81.

You should bear in mind that a PIC running at 4MHz has considerably more power than those old machines, the Microtan used a 750KHz clock. By missing those days you missed out on a lot of stuff which you now do with PIC's, a great deal of which was developed back then.

I still have a great fondness for the 6502, I'd love a single IC (like a PIC) but based round a 6502.
Hmm Actually I don't mind I missed it, I was happy when I got my first PC (BTW the fastest at my school) and now I play with PICs a lot...

I just love thoose small chips :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back