Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

the best microcontroller ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Noticed this $4.30 MSP430G evaluation board, posted on another forum. Now that has to be The cheapest evaluation board/development environment yet. The actual target device has less going for it than a similar priced low end PIC24F.

I just discovered the PIC24F04KA200... it is certainly very cheap! I'll have a go with that one then.

Noticed this $4.30 MSP430G evaluation board, posted on another forum. Now that has to be The cheapest evaluation board/development environment yet. The actual target device has less going for it than a similar priced low end PIC24F.
I am not sure how this is a good idea. It is important to learn on a processor and toolset that others are using and I do not see posting here regarding it ?

i still learning it and searching the book on local place
its hard to learn it online ,
are it need software to set a script to the pic
and are it need computer plugin to connect it ?

How different is it then? :eek:

Different enough that the people here will not be able to answer some of your questions. There are enough PIC and some AVR users that we have seen most problems and can rapidly help.

In another thread a member suggested that it can take 6 months to get a light to blink. It can be that way if you end up working by yourself.

If you want to get help here pick one that people here use frequently.

Last edited:
I am not sure how this is a good idea. It is important to learn on a processor and toolset that others are using and I do not see posting here regarding it ?
Well I'm not going to do the OP's homework on what is the best microcontroller for him. Presenting alternate choices like a 16 bit TI part or a 32 bit NXP Cortex M0 ARM mentioned by Ubergeek63, leads to a much needed diversity of conversation. It seems that chip vendors out there are laying siege to the 8 bit world with their marketing and pricing campaigns. I see it like a CAD program analogy though, the learning curve is steep enough, it will be tough to move people from what they know.

Being curious and open minded about other technologies or toolchains should be a virtue, although difficult in practice. Geographical and budget constraints may have an overriding influence on the choices available.

Personally, I will be sticking mostly with PICS because they are what I know, they increasingly more powerful and cheaper (due to competition), and work well for my Hobby projects. Will try and blink an led with the $4.30 MSP430G kit when it comes in though, because it's my prerogative, plus I know it won't take me 6 months to figure it out.

this is one of those absurd topics that seem to have no definite answer..

Its like asking which beer is the best

Nickleflipper

The original title and post were
the best microcontroller ?
i just want to order a micrlr
but i need suggestion what is microcontroller that
can be used for many robot project
any suggestion ?​
Each of us seems to be putting his own slant on the question.

Perhaps OP transistorman started with the wrong question. A better question is what microcontroller would be his best choice to learn enough microcontroller programming.

I would welcome a discussion of the merits of various architectures but that should be done in its own thread. I would hope for a civil discussion of features and merits rather then a mine is better then yours bar fight.

Hi Transistorman,

Go Microchip and look for MPLAB IDE (it's free)

Mike

they can afford to make it free for how much they charge for the chips ... origionally it was comming out of their advertising budget to basically give it away to college kids, now it is payed for and they still do that to try and keep their audience captive

Last edited:
Wow !

Microchip supports education directly and through it's sample program. The processors are reasonably priced through Newark and Microchip direct.

they do in the same way that every dope pusher on the street does: get you hooked and then collect on their investment ... and no they are not reasonably priced, at least i do not call $8 for a throuback to the 8 bit days reasonable when there are good 32 bitters available for $2!

Hi Uber,

Which chip is $8 ?
I usually work with 16F526 (under $1 CAD) and 16F628A (under $2 CAD) along with the fact that I get 2 free samples per month.
Can you suggest which one is best for you? + advantages?

Mike

Hi Uber,

Which chip is $8 ?
I usually work with 16F526 (under $1 CAD) and 16F628A (under $2 CAD) along with the fact that I get 2 free samples per month.
Can you suggest which one is best for you? + advantages?

Mike

the PIC16F877A mentioned in the second post of the thread.

you are in effect comparing a $1, 8 bit, 1K FLASH/64byte RAM, 20MHz chip to a $2, 32 bit, 8K FLASH/2K RAM, 50MHz one.

you are looking at 8x the performance before you get to the 10 bit A/D, 2 32 bit counters (on top of 2 16 bit ones and a "system tic") and 32 bit hardware multiplier.

Dan

Last edited:
they do in the same way that every dope pusher on the street does: get you hooked and then collect on their investment ... and no they are not reasonably priced, at least i do not call $8 for a throuback to the 8 bit days reasonable when there are good 32 bitters available for $2!
Just like other corps which support education by providing product.

Microchip could easily discontinue old parts but chooses to continue offering them at a increased price. It makes it possible to build older designs. In my book that is better then obsoleting them.

Mostly what I see here is bias.

Just like other corps which support education by providing product.

Microchip could easily discontinue old parts but chooses to continue offering them at a increased price. It makes it possible to build older designs. In my book that is better then obsoleting them.

Mostly what I see here is bias.

Nope, practicality. It is impractical to pay twice as much for half the product in industry and it is impractical for someone to put the time in to learn how to use something that is impractical in industry if they are looking to get a job using it.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back