Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The Bass Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.
For starters you need speakers that can reproduce low frequencies. Your 3" squeakers cannot and would be better suited as part of a system with a 8", 10" or larger subwoofer.
Commonly called a 2.1 speaker system.
**broken link removed**
Logitech Z-2300

You might try wearing your speakers as headphones. I say that because they are about large enough to make good headphones. That would help the bass brequencies quite a bit.

Just say how I can overcome these limitations ?

Move to North America or Europe, get a good education, get a good job then buy any parts you want.
I can buy a pretty good 8" woofer for as little as a meal for two people in a restaurant or two tanks of gasoline for my car.
I need to work about 1 hour for my salary to pay for each of them.

Make a power supply that can supply the required current without its voltage sagging much and with fairly low ripple.

You can get more bass but you will never get good bass out of that system without a seperate subwoofer.
Looking at a data sheet for your amp you may fine tune it for bass by changing some caps.

Bootstrap capacitor : If the capacitance value is decreased, the output at low frequencies goes lower.

Output capacitor : The low cutoff frequency depends on this capacitor.

If you try to go to low the small speakers will move to far and self destruct.

Andy

If you try to go too low the small speakers will move too far and self destruct.
If the volume of the enclosure is correct for the little speakers then it will limit their amount of movement.
The woofers are rated at 10W and the amplifier is rated at 4W per channel into 4 ohms at clipping.

If the volume of the enclosure is correct for the little speakers then it will limit their amount of movement.
audioguru; Thanks for you input, the big question is "If" and I would say its posible the speakers and enclosures are not matched.
the amplifier is rated at 4W per channel into 4 ohms at clipping
with two chips on the board in the pic thay may be bridged for 15 watts per.

Bottom line is the OP will never get good bass out of that system. He would need a seperate power supply, amp and subwoofer.

Andy

with two chips on the board in the pic thay may be bridged for 15 watts per.
That is correct!
Depending on the supply voltage (it is a secret) then the amplifier might have enough power to blow up the cheap and tiny woofers.

For starters you need speakers that can reproduce low frequencies. Your 3" squeakers cannot and would be better suited as part of a system with a 8", 10" or larger subwoofer.
Commonly called a 2.1 speaker system.
**broken link removed**
Logitech Z-2300

If 3" speaker can not be suited for my system but how big company are producing decent bass effect through a 2" speaker. I want to know it as I think it is possible. Everything starts from a small !

Good reference, blueroom. The Theil-Heil equasions IIRC.
I always wind up telling people, "It's all in the speaker". A big, high efficiency speaker makes everything work better.
See: Cerwin Vega H15 @ 103db/W
Great way to rattle the windows with 50 watts per channel.

DAMNIT! I wrote this big huge long reply that explained why getting decent bass out of a 3" speaker is futile but IE crashed and it got lost. So let me try to remeber some of it.

if you halve the cone diameter you quarter the speakers ability to move air and create bass. so the speaker would have to work 400% harder(throw farther and do it more quickly) and this just isn't possible.<-- period
6" speaker minimum. And not jst any 6" speaker..one with a 5" magnet and weights 7lbs..like this one.
Elemental Designs: Car Stereo, Home Speakers, Electronics

This 6" speaker is one of a few that is actually designed to be ported at 30-35hz which is deep base.

99% of even 6" speakers are just not designed to create much bass before the voice coil, cone, and surround just starte creating distortion because they cannot keep control of the cone at throw lengths required to create bass. There are a few here and there that are intended to .and can handle it..but you will not see that in a 2-3" speaker at all. Its really a mechanical problem and a problem of physics trying to create sufficient airmovement/vibration to output high decibles at such low fequencies. you can't..by mechanicals just go make a 6" speaker than has 4 times longer throw to make up for the loss of cone area vs a 12". Remember even at 30hz you still have to physically move the speaker in and out 30 times per second. Wich is why large speakers don't make good high fequencies. Inertia. it is a *****.

All that being said I can tell you a few things. As audioguru and others know. a solid 50% of how your speakers sounds is how it is installed. How it is boxed, and ported/not ported. It doesn't stop there either placment of the speaker makes a big difference as well. I had a car stereo with one 12" speaker that was so loud that that it would actually create enough bass to flip the turn signal in my car on when I played "brass monkey". but ONLY if the speaker was pointed toward the back end of the car.Beyond all that you need a clean signal from the reciever to the amp and then a decent amp.

The best responce you can get from a small speaker under 6" is probably to try and copy bose waveguide technology. Transmission line box or tapered quarter wave box. All of these end up being large boxes so if space is the issue this is not a good option. good luck. I hope I didn't leave anything out..lol i'm sure I did.

Good reference, blueroom. The Theil-Heil equasions IIRC.
I always wind up telling people, "It's all in the speaker". A big, high efficiency speaker makes everything work better.
See: Cerwin Vega H15 @ 103db/W
Great way to rattle the windows with 50 watts per channel.

I like vegas. My favorite speaker I ever owned was a 12" cerwin vega Vega series. It wasn't the cleanest sounding speaker..don't get me wrong it was still fantastic tho..but the bass responce from that thing in the big ass sqaure ported box I made thumped like no other:)

Why Bass Effect will be secret ? Why I can't get the secret !

He would need a seperate power supply, amp and subwoofer.

The best responce you can get from a small speaker under 6" is probably to try and copy bose waveguide technology. Transmission line box or tapered quarter wave box. All of these end up being large boxes so if space is the issue this is not a good option. good luck. I hope I didn't leave anything out..lol i'm sure I did.

Folded Tapped Horn, many of them made with small cheap speakers and make good bass. Some of them small desk top boxs for computer speakers with around 4" speakers. Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back