Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The 7-segment LED display is too dark when connected to a auto dimming circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joelam1027

I'm using the below circuit to build a auto dimming circuit. I was fine when I only use one 7-segment led, but when I connect more 7-segment led (parallel to L1) the light intensity is very low. How to make it brighter and function properly? Thank you.
ABL.jpg

You either need a higher-gain transistor or a bigger (lower on-resistance) LDR.
You could also try reducing R2 to 470 Ohms, but I'd not go lower than that.

If you do not get full brightness with the LDR shorted out, the transistor is the problem, it's not got enough gain.

It looks to me that your circuit will work the opposite way I would expect an auto dimming circuit to work. I would expect the display to be brighter when the LDR had a lower resistance. (Brighter illumination.)

Les.

It looks to me that your circuit will work the opposite way I would expect an auto dimming circuit to work. I would expect the display to be brighter when the LDR had a lower resistance. (Brighter illumination.)

Les.

It will decrease resistance from base to ground when the LDR has more light on it and allow more current to flow through the PNP.

To make it brighter, increase the value of R1 to to get a brightness you like.

4F3B02A5-7CA3-4A4F-AE47-D0F539C63EBB.jpeg

Last edited:
HI gophert,
You are correct and I am wrong. I had just looked at it as a potential divider of the LDR and R2. I had ignored R1 and the connection between the base and the left hand end of R1.
I agree with rjenkingb that R1 needs to be increased to make the LED brighter.

Les.

Either way, if it's not providing enough current with the LDR brightly illuminated, the transistor gain is too low.

For a higher current load, possibly a PNP darlington or P channel mosfet would work better, with slight adjustments to the bias resistors for the FET.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back