Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

That other sciencey stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcmtech

Banned
Most Helpful Member
I think we need a science and tech info sharing and review thread so here it is.

If you found something educational feel free to post a link, and if possible, a description of what it's about. ;)

To start thing off here's a load of stuff related to the recent changes in how our understanding of our planet works on the grand scale of ice ages and even our own socio-historical past.

Turns out that the last ice age probably didn't end anywhere close to how its been speculated to have.

It now looks a lot like it didn't end slowly and peacefully over thousands of years but with a horrific world changing catastrophe that came from a comet, or several, impact on the North American continental ice sheet that might have had the biggest planet altering geological and environmental changes happen in days or weeks followed by centuries and even melenia of recovery. :eek:

They are long so take that into consideration. I've had them running in the background over the last week or so while I am out in my shed doing other things just get all the way through them at once.

Joe Rogan talks with Randall Carlson and Graham Hancock.

Last edited:
More related stuff regarding what is presently easily seen today in the Us in the Nebraska and Carolina areas.

In other news, Space weather might be gearing up to slap us around for a while now thank to our planet's geomagnetic field ramping down towards possible reversal while the sun also changes cycles and our whole solar system moves out of huge gas cloud too which may allow for a substantial increase in deep space energy levels that can get to us going up. :eek:

That is if the Yellowstone Caldera doesn't get us first. :p

Some ancient geo history of the west central North American continent.

Bah missed it by a few weeks, but i think it starts in june again..... The mariana trench mapping live streaming video of the deepest part of the ocean, I watched it loads last year. Live feeds and you can message them. The feed is dead at the moment but will post when its up.

Also end of may is supposed to have a huge telescope on the net you can control, its in D&G near to where I live. one catch.... you got to get a login in, I can get 5 free ones if anyone wants one, no idea about telescopes, but its pretty big. By that I mean it lives in a large dome and not a garden shed :D.

Science papers in full txt might as in might be available, if its for personal use ;) pm me the DOI

Part 5 of the Carolina Bay Formation miniseries for any of you geology/planetary history buffs. :cool:

Also something interesting about Mt Rainier that relate to some of my earlier links about the West Central North American continent geological history.

Most probably don't care but I was there as a kid once so I found it interesting.

For you who prefer your Geological educational stuff in bite sized pieces that are only 5 - 15 minutes long here the link to a bunch of them.

How well do you know your roadside rocks and stuff? o_O

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwNJg2mCrcQSWMxs2jvgp_lvpeffAUd6e

Last edited:
I would opt for heat from solar in the UK, PV itself dosnt add up for me. Although situation dependent, if you got the room it makes more sense to use evacuated solar cells to heat bio reactors. Hence depends on your situation. The big let down currently is storage of energy, Magnesium and nickel based technologies show alot of promise. Hydrogen cells i have mixed feelings about, maybe if the carbon nano tech gets better.....

Wind power on land without tariffs makes no business case for itself unless you can store it. The very best technologies are those that are synergistic, waste is used and everything in the process has a purpose. Bulgaria and hungry have some excellent examples, waste heat from methane plants and the flu gases from the turbines are directed into huge greenhouses. These grow high value crops, CO2 is best dissolved into water as carbonic acid, this is then fed to the roots as a Carbon source. Many times more effective than trying to get leaves to take it up.

There should be a log cabin of the future blue print online soon, i will post the link when its done. Currently 2 universities are looking at different aspects of it, but its not really a pick n mix. The system is designed and built to be used as a whole, currently most technologies are looked at in the singular.

Some more lesser seen head scratchers regarding ancient tech that nobody has a solid explanation for.

~20 minute mark has a real head scratcher that cant be explained with the assumed extremely low tech methods that were supposed to exist back in the day.

Some things that are not shown in normal historical documentaries.

Nazca lines and more plus new discoveries in the Egyptian Pyramids. :cool:

Then goes into ancient alien theory. :angelic:

Last edited:
Some medieval age architecture and general historical stuff.

How to build your medieval home. :cool:

Don't get carried away with the size of your sword. :oops:

Now that you got the right size, make sure you know how to use it correctly. ;)

If you're going to storm a castle at least have some idea how and why they were built the way there were.:eek:

If you failed at everything else at least get you Coat of Arms right so nobody kills you for the wrong reason. :facepalm:

At minimal, make yourself a bit harder to kill with basic hand held weaponry.;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uWDCDJD_4w

Last edited:
The "Project Tinkertoy" stuff makes me think of NORBIT modules - an old Mullard product from the 1960s, if I remember correctly.

They look like overgrown dual-in-line integrated circuits, each about 2" long, but are internally built from discrete components then encapsulated in epoxy.

I still maintain a few old machine tools that have these in the thyristor drive electronics...

A photo of a drive card below:
Norbit board.JPG

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back