Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Thank Button

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam Fisher

Hi,
I suggest to moderator to add a "thank you" button for forums...It prevents submitting thanks posts.
Thanks!!:p

Last edited:
What do you mean, if you want to thank someone, do so in the thread and give them positive reputation by clicking on the icon.

What do you mean?

Sorry but your post doesn't make any sense to me.

Last edited:
What do you mean?

Sorry but your post doesn't make any sense to me.

I've seen it on some other web forums where the other members can say 'Thanks' for a useful post just by clicking on the button placed near to 'Quote' button.

The member id's who have clicked on the button will be displayed at last line of the post like:

The following users found the post useful: user1, user2, user3

Just like that. That may rate a particular post.

I don't see the point, the reputation button already provides a mechanism for thanking people.

hi,
I expect someone will ask for a 'waste of space' button aka 'trash' button

To be clicked when the reply is either:

Totally unrelated to the OP's question.
Silly one liners, posted just to bump the posters post count.
Repeating a perfectly good earlier post which has already answered the OP.
Suggesting the use of a PIC or MCU when a 7555 will do the job.
etc...........

IMHO the existing Rep system works OK and if a OP wants to say thanks, it nice to think he has taken the trouble
to type out the words 'thank you' rather than just manage to push a button.

I have seen it on other forums also and it is in some way useful. For example, if you're scrolling through a large thread it can be helpful to decider which replies are worthy of reading. However, it does add bloat to the space around a users posts lowering the impact of other features like the rep system.

If there is a lot of people wanting this I will consider adding it.

An automated thank you note loses a lot of value, it's more of a dismissal, or acknowledging that your problem is solved. Not much appreciation, just slightly better than nothing at all.

Just type a few words of appreciation in the 'Quick Reply' box, send. It makes people feel good, and the time they spend here worthwhile. Also a big plus for you, since not many take the time, you will be remembered for it. Everybody likes to know how things turn out, whether it was a success, or eventually abandoned.

I'm probably on of the worst here. I hop around through several projects at once, seldom get around to find a case for most (yeah, bare circuit boards hooked up every where). I get new ideas all the time, my job doesn't require much thought, but doesn't allow much time to jot down notes. Hard to keep up in my off time. Not to mention looking through boxes of parts, will generally turn up something interesting, pieces start to fall into place, and before I know it, another project is born.

Here is an idea about how it will look like::confused:

Black Hat Forum

It'll be nice to see the users given 'thanks'. Some may love and enjoy it a lot:D

Seems like an extra add-on. I don't think it mess up our website like that. Normally a post won't get more than 5 thanks and can be restricted within a single line. But as the thread gets more views, the no. of thanks may increase and mess up.

A triable feature IMO.

hi,
I expect someone will ask for a 'waste of space' button aka 'trash' button
How about an insult button that results in an automatic infraction for using it.

I'll like a swear smilie, that would be cool. **broken link removed**

IMHO the existing Rep system works OK and if a OP wants to say thanks, it nice to think he has taken the trouble
to type out the words 'thank you' rather than just manage to push a button.
I have to agree here 100%.
If you think of the effort put in by some of the "helpers" here, simply typing "thank you" into a text box is the least that the OP can do.

If you want to thank a person for helping, or not, as the case may be, leave some rep points.

If you want to thank a person for helping, or not, as the case may be, leave some rep points.

How many Rep Point do you need to win a new car? Seriously though, if you got something useful out of your thread, you shouldn't have a problem giving something back. No need to be bashful, or secretive. I personally don't pay attention to the reputation points. I think a 'Thank You' button would just add clutter, and mostly be ignored. You ask for personalized help, by starting a thread, ending the thread with a personalized not of appreciation, and the final results is priceless.

I'm not certain why, but the "posted by" column in the rep screen has been removed, so there's no way to see who actually gave you rep. I get some comments in the rep section, but it's impossible to see who posted them, and some are hard to understand without some reference as to who made the comment.

I suggest that people actually put their user names in the rep comments, or the "posted by" column be re-added so we can see who actually gave us rep.

I've never seen the posted by turned on.

I can see how this was confusing, and I was wrong anyway. I thought it was default in vBulletin to show who posted the reps, but it actually defaults to off.

If you want to turn it on, you have to do it by usergroup:
Admin Panel -> UserGroup -> UserGroup Manager -> {usergroup} -> scroll down to 'user reputation permissions'.

I think this should be turned on. I see no reason why the reputation points are anonymous.

Just put your alias in the description if you want to be known.

I suggest that people actually put their user names in the rep comments, or the "posted by" column be re-added so we can see who actually gave us rep.

That's nice, but I don't see why the 'posted by' view can't be turned on and I still think it should be. I didn't say I wanted it so that people would know it's me. I want to know who added the comments to my rep, as some of them are kinda confusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back