Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Testing IR Leds

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattg2k4

Are there any readily available materials that will light up under IR for quick verification of whether an IR led is working? I know I could set up a circuit with a phototransistor, but I'd like to see if this would be a viable method first.

mattg2k4 said:
Are there any readily available materials that will light up under IR for quick verification of whether an IR led is working? I know I could set up a circuit with a phototransistor, but I'd like to see if this would be a viable method first.

If you look at it through a cam-corder or digital camera, you will see it as lighting up white - this has been commonly used for years to check remote controls. You can also buy a small 'card', I've no idea how they work, but they appear to have a coating which absorbs the IR and gives off visible light - these are sold in the TV trade for testing remotes.

Personally I now use an IR Remote tester I built myself, but it probably wouldn't be of help to you, as it requires 38KHz modulation (as used by IR remotes) - it wouldn't detect an unmodulated IR LED.

You could also simply measure the current through it, and the voltage across it, these would give a good indication if it was working or not.

I have a little card that I use for a UV laser. I hold it up in the beam and it glows bright orange. I know that there was also an IR card that was maybe $3 USD or so (the UV one was ~$100 USD).

in fact here is one

I have used cameras for testing for quite a while, but I notice that some of the newer ones are not sensative to IR any more. IR affects photos taken in direct sun-light, and reducing a camera's sensitivity to IR is seen as the way forward... apparently.

Well I just tried my digital camera, and its completely blind to my IR led.

Know where I can pick up one of those IR sensitive cards?

testing ir

:D

how about using a simple am transistor radio, just set your dial to the 38khz band. :D

All Digital camera detectors will detect IR. The problem is that high quality cameras have a IR filter that removes IR. Get a cheap webcam or better yet a pinhole cam that has no filtering at all.

www.cyberguys.com has a little webcam for $9.95. Part Number 2040582.

Brent

I do have an old USB camera I'd completely forgotten about. It picks up the IR leds just fine, thanks for the suggestions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back