Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Test Leads for Oscilloscopes, Function Generators etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
One question BNC with PS gland - pressure sleeve gland ?
Yes, the white squidgy bit in the picture.
BNC Inside.JPG
Need crimping or screw in ??
No crimping required.
The centre pin is soldered.
The body and the back nut screw together, squeezing the pressure sleeve, and holding the screen braid in contact with the inside of the body.

JimB

FWIW: Where I used to work we bought supposedly high quality crimped cables from newark.com. They may have even been Pomona, but may had issues over the years where the crimps would "let go". I went through a period of re-making a lot of the cables.

The process of making a BNC cable end is exacting. The strip lenghts have to be "right on" and you need a "thin wrench". Fortunately, I had access to resistance soldering equipment, so you don't get solder on the gold pin. The solder cup of the pin has to be flush with the insulator.

The other method is a "HEX crimp which i never used.

I've done a lot of work with Triax cables which have two shields and a center conductor. These cables also had powdered graphite to reduce the effects of flexing. a 1 meter cable was about $100 USD.

Now I have had to adapt N's (1000 W RF transmitter) to PL259's (Dummy load).

Sometimes ebay might have "wires" from an "estate liquidation", so you can get someone else's collection.

Be aware that there is stuff called "test probe wire" which is very flexible and thick insulated.

If you have room a comb-like device is available to arrange cables on a wall.

Hi Guys

Thanks to you all, particularly JimB, I've sorted all the questions and ordered the bits to make my test leads - I will soon be in action !
KISS - useful information, thanks - Having been teaching music for most of my life including music tech. at A level I have a few of the comb like devices around from storing leads.

Thanks to everyone for the help, much appreciated

S

Hi Jim

Thanks for that. Quick look down their stock list has some surprises in terms of good prices. They have several other bits I've been looking for and couldn't find. I'll get an order in to them soon.
In 1998 I moved to a new teaching job in Banbury at a school that had a Music Technology suite. I managed to break 16 computers by putting the wrong BNC plug into sockets on the processors which connected the peer to peer network. I only did that once too !!
In terms of what I need - BNC to BNC approx 500 mm and 1 metre; BNC to crocodile pair similar lengths; crocodile to crocodile similar lengths.

Anything else ??

S

All of my cables, that are not coaxial, come from China and are available on EBay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back