Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Test lead management ideas ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob4bvm

Just wondering how folks store their test leads, probes, etc. Trying to re-org my bench to make my work a bit more efficient, and test leads is one of my main hassles. Anyone have a system that is neat and east to grab the right leads, scope probes, jumpers, etc ?
Thanks,
Bob

I have a couple of these.

71DxMkilUUL._SX522_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Pomona-1508-...JXPSKX2/ref=pd_lpo_2?pd_rd_i=B00JXPSKX2&psc=1

Me too, but no clear wall space to hang leads. You'd have to see where my bench is located :)
I fully agree with the straight vertical hanger idea tho, instant access and orgzn at its best !
Bob

Just a thought. Use that fangdangled hanger on the back of a door? Would that work?

yES if i had a door near my bench, no luck there.
Its in a corner upstairs in a converted loft with short walls . I just need to clear off a section of wall space i guess. That type of lead hanger is the best solution.

I use these for bulk parts, projects, test gear etc.
They are sold on ebay etc. as plastic shoeboxes and quite cheap.

IMG_7093.jpg

(I keep sorted components in compartment boxes like these & the deeper versions)

IMG_7094.jpg

Whatever i try turns out like this .....

View attachment 137598

This picture reminded me of something. I used to do a lot of shipboard testing, and we'd often run numerous cables for various transducers. Most often, cables were run one at a time, hooking them over valves, protrusions, anything available to keep them off the deck and out of the way.

Ideally, the cables were hooked over things so at the end of the testing, they could be dropped down to the deck as a group, to be coiled up one by one or as a group to be sorted later depending on the time available. If a cable was run behind a bracket or something, rather than hooked over it, breakout was much more difficult because the length of cable would have to be pulled back through to get it free.

Most of my coworkers were pretty good at running cables to make breakdown easy. Follow the same path as the cables already run, keeping them so they could be broken down easily. But one of the guys just didn't get it. Instead of the easy path everyone else followed, run the cable behind the pipe instead of hanging it over the valve. But that wasn't bad enough. Wrap the cable around the others so the poorly routed cable has to be completely pulled free separately before the rest can be easily removed. Oh, he ran two cables? With completely different paths so that each had to be untangled separately before any others could be freed? Yup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back