Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Tesla Turbine

Status
Not open for further replies.

large_ghostman

Most Helpful Member
Looking at some videos to get some ideas, I came across the Tesla turbine, seems like a really cool device with alot of power. So got me thinking........
How come if they are as powerful as claimed, they dont seem to be in general use for electric production? Or is it more to do with the fact we dont need Turbines spun at that kind of rate?

There's an awful lot of crap written about Tesla, yes he did some amazing things, but he also did even more stuff that was totally useless.

If it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is :D

I dont know what to make of it, from what I have seen his turbine produces alot of speed for the input. On the face of it they look good, but I wondered if part of the problem was the speed..

Interesting design though, small scale looks alot more practical than large.

There's an awful lot of crap written about Tesla, yes he did some amazing things, but he also did even more stuff that was totally useless.
I agree, similar things can be said of Marconi.

Marconi is usually considered as the "inventor" of radio, which completely forgets the work of Popov, Lodge, Maxwell, Hertz and may others.
What Marconi did do was to develop the practical use of radio.

JimB

Hertz did some really interesting stuff, some of this goes back to what I said about Humphrey Davy. If you wasnt gentry you were not taken seriously. Marconi was good at spotting an opportunity, alot like mobile phones. My mum was telling me that back in the late 80's early 90's, people only saw mobile phones as being useful to business people. Kind of made me laugh when she said no one could see the point of being able to make or take a phone call, when you were out and about lol.

So did the technology meet a need, or did the technology create the need? My Gran remembers TV coming out, she said it was seen as an interesting way to waste 20 mins :D. She didnt think it would catch on.

I like Tesla stuff, mainly because of the design aspect and imagination he had to come up with it. Plus it gives DS a hobby building death sparks :p

@ Nigel................

You got any VCR motors hanging around you want to sell? I hear they are pretty good as generators and small enough to fit on the demo board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back