Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Terabyte drives $94.00us

Status
Not open for further replies.

killivolt

I just picked up Quantity 3 / 1Terabyte External drives today off Buy.com

**broken link removed**

94.00 US free shipping.

kv

Last edited:
Amazing, I remember the days when a 100 meg drive cost about $200.

I purchased my first HDD of 1.3MB for amazing 1,800DM (US$900)

What year was that Boncuk?

Most of the computers in my high school lab did not even have hard drives, just a pair of 5.25" floppies. I think the instructor's machine had a 10MB drive and we thought you would NEVER fill that up.

Now at work I have a 80TB EMC san connected via fiber switches. For the smaller shop grab a bunch of those 1TB drives, raid 'em out and you just saved well over a million.

What I find even more amazing is the 128GB flash drives wow!

Am I being a bit twitchy? but the only way I would buy ANY external storage would be if it had some element of RAID in built.

3TB is a lot, and if you think you would come any where near to filling that with data I think you need to start asking yourself about the best way of restoring that data.

Sorry rant over (and I have stopped twitching).

Mark

That's an amazing price considering I've been looking at one for viseo editing that was 1TB at $99 US .... hmmmm, your link has me rethinking things. As for never filling a 3TB drive, consider archiving high quality videos. It will fill up... yes after a long time, but still nonetheless.

I would recommend buy two of them and setting them up as a redundant raid array.. It's not practical to backup that much data, and no one wants to lose 3 terrabytes of data because of a cheap drive. Might seem like a waste to use 2 drives as mirror, but if the raid controller is even halfway decent (most of them are nowdays I think) it'll also increase bulk read speeds.

Hi,

I broke out my old TRS80 the other day after cleaning a bit and that thing has
floppy drives that are 180k bytes ha ha.
The hard drive for that thing, when it was available back in the 80's, was 20 megabytes
and cost 400 dollars US.

It really is amazing how good they've gotten at miniturizing electronics. I have an 8 gig USB thumb drive that's as small as a thumb NAIL =\ And the largest SD cards that are out there are insanely huge for something that you could accidentally swallow and come to no harm =P
I junked them a ways back but I used to still have functional RLL hard drives from some old machine I had ages ago.

Last edited:
That's an amazing price considering I've been looking at one for viseo editing that was 1TB at $99 US .... hmmmm, your link has me rethinking things. As for never filling a 3TB drive, consider archiving high quality videos. It will fill up... yes after a long time, but still nonetheless.

HiTech, you have it wrong I should have worded this better I Purchased Quantity of 3 - 1TB drives.

But, there is free shipping. I mostly wanted someone to say a little about the type of drive to see if they were crap or not.

One of my CT administrators found it and I bought them for work. Plus, I thought it might be a good deal by the sounds of it you found some @ 99.00 so I didn't get that great of a deal.

Thanks for pointing that out I'll re-word that better.

kv:)

My bad! I should stop "skim reading" posts.

What year was that Boncuk?

That was 1985. I needed more than 720KB on a 3 1/2" floppy for stock keeping. The computer was an Amstrad Joyce. The HDD wasn't much faster than a floppy though. :)

Can't wait till i'm as old you farts. I can tell the kids... "back in the day I had to use an actual keyboard... not these neural net transmitters..."

:)

Can't wait till i'm as old you farts.

When you have reached that age you'll wish to be young again. :D

BTW, did you intend to write "as old as you"? :confused:

Last edited:
I shudder to think I used to slave infront of a TRS-80III w/ 48K memory! What POS but at that time it was a toy to waste the hours away by. I remember using it to catalog my videotape inventory. It would take approximately 10-12 hours to sort tapes according to title, date, length, etc. Now, that was 10-12 hrs. to arrange them in order under ONE category only. If I wanted to change the sorting category or add a newly recorded tape, it was another 10-12 hrs!!!:(:eek::(

Oh Lord, then there was that awful printer that always had paper alignment issues! :mad:

$94 per TB, what a rip-off :D

My local computer is offering Samsung F2EG TB drives at $69.99. By Monday, maybe it will be buy one, get one free. I think I will wait.

Wonder how long it would take to re-build a RAID1 on a whole TB?

John

Raid 1 is full mirror.
So, looking up the specs real fast. It has a Maximum of 166mb's a second media to buffer read speed, that's probably on the inner ring. I'm not sure of the disc size or exactly how to calculate how that would slow down on the outter ring, but lets assume an average read speed of 1/5th of that, or about 30 megs a second average edge to edge. According to my calculator that'd be around 9 hours. But that's just a rough guesstimate.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back