Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Temperature sensors

Status
Not open for further replies.

HTAluvBeBeo

Would you answer some noob questions about temperature sensors, please:D
1- the diferences between DS18B20 and DS18S20?
2- Which is better?
3- It seems that people commonly use LM35 or LM335. So, in comparison among DS12S80 (12B80), DS1624 and LM35(LM335), which is easy in use, precious and most suitable to use with PIC microcontroller.
Thank you for caring about my noob questions
PS: sorry for my bad English

Last edited:
HTAluvBeBeo said:
Would you answer some noob questions about temperature sensors, please:D
1- the diferences between DS18B20 and DS18S20?
2- Which is better?
3- It seems that people commonly use LM35 or LM335. So, in comparison among DS12S80 (12B80), DS1624 and LM35(LM335), which is easy in use, precious and most suitable to use with PIC microcontroller.

1) The DS18B20 has higher resolution and conversion speed. Code written for the DS18S20 need some changes in order to work with the DS18B20.
2) Both parts work fine for general purpose temperature mesasurement. Does your application have particular requirements?
3) The LM35 and LM335 are analog sensors. You use the ADC of the PIC to convert that signal to digital format. Accurate conversions might require additional hardware, such as an external precision reference.

All these sensors can be easily interfaced to a PIC microcontroller.

The choice depends on what you're trying to do exactly, so give some details about your project.

Thank you so much for your quick replying!
My major is business administration, but my biggest hobby is electronics.
I am learning about PIC and going to do a project with PIC 16F876, DS1307, 7-segment leds and a temp sensor. All are just for personal purpose: a 7segment leds clock can measure temp of my room.
Now I am planning and choosing components.
Maybe may project will end in July (such a long time). Because I only have 3 to 4 hours per week for my hobby:) and I have to learn some things which will serve for this project: I2C, C language, etc...
Thank you, again
PS: I really want to have a chance to visit Italy:)
Sory for my bad English

Last edited:
HTAluvBeBeo said:
All are just for personal purpose: a 7segment leds clock can measure temp of my room.
Now I am planning and choosing components.
A DS18S20 will be fine. If you're going to use C, mikroC provides a library and code samples you can use to get started with 1-wire communication. The demo version is free.

HTAluvBeBeo said:
PS: I really want to have a chance to visit Italy:)
You're welcome :)

;) Thank you so much. I feel very pleasure with your answer:D
I am learing C with CCS C. I will try mikroC. As I know mikroC is as good as CCS C. Next weekend, when I have free time, I will pick up a couple of DS18S20. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back