Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Temperature data recorder

Status
Not open for further replies.

ee_student

Good day!

Can anyone enlighten me on designing a temperature data recorder?

what type of connectors are used on the recorder if it is spose to accept both J and K type thermocouples?

for a 10 channels temperature data recorder, does it have 10 cold junction compensation circuits and 10 adc chips in it?

thank you!

I would have your 10 thermocouples going into 10 pairs of terminal blocks (no special metal needed), then have 5 differential multiplexers feeding these signals into the cold junction temperature compensation circuit then out of this into a single differential ADC. The ADC is going to be the expensive bit, so multiplexing your signal into a single ADC will be simplest and cheapest way of doing it.

Alternatively, if your temperature is not going above 125 degC, use a silicon chip solution or thermistor in a resistive divider then you dont have to worry about cold junction temperature comp

thanks a lot for your reply.

multiplexer:
is that what is usually used in a multiple channel data logger? do they use multiplexer in their logger? can you recommend a multiplexer that i can use?

And for cold junction compensation:
I am planning to use AD594 for type J and 595 for type k, but how does my data logger know what type of thermocouple is connected to a particular channel before determining which chip (594 or 595) to send the signal to?

thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back