Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Temperature Control

Status
Not open for further replies.

headcracker

Hey friends

i am thinking of doing a project on temperature control suits used for working in extreme temperature environments.

does any1 has any idea abt temperature control (heating as well as cooling)using electronics.

headcracker said:
Hey friends

i am thinking of doing a project on temperature control suits used for working in extreme temperature environments.

does any1 has any idea abt temperature control (heating as well as cooling)using electronics.

Heating is easy, cooling isn't!.

It's probably easier to keep heat out than to cool heat after it has gotten in. If the environment is hotter than you are, a fan won't do any good and a vapour phase cooling system is needed (picture a refridgerator on your back).

First priority should be insulating to keep hot and cold out, while keeping the temperature inside the suit in.

Then worry about active cooling/heating...which you won't need to worry about because the only time that is needed is when you are going to venture out very very far into the extreme areas for long periods of time and couldn't return to a room temperature area very easily (situations like this don't exist on Earth). Have it more be of a thermos suit instead of a heater/air conditioning suit.

What you are trying to do is not cheap (think astronaut suit).

Last edited:
thanks mate

but i am designing a suit for a petroleum company workers working in riggs, where there r extreme temperature conditions.

so i was thinking of a suit which can keep them in desired temperature range

headcracker said:
thanks mate

but i am designing a suit for a petroleum company workers working in riggs, where there r extreme temperature conditions.

so i was thinking of a suit which can keep them in desired temperature range

You can't 'cool' something, you can only pump heat away and radiate it - which is how a fridge works. To radiate heat the radiator needs to be cooler than the surrounding environment - so it really needs to be outside the hot places.

Nigel Goodwin said:
To radiate heat the radiator needs to be cooler than the surrounding environment

I think you really mean hotter.

JimB

you could try something like a space suit where there are tubes of coolant running along the suface of the skin(or close to). Chilled water pumped fast enough may work, I think a human body can produce something in the order of 200W of heat when working hard like oil riggers, so the body heat and external heat would need to be shed remotely. Reflective exterior coat to reduce absorbed external heat and seperate chilled/warm coolant feeds.

You don't even make mention of what the extreme conditions are. Don't design if you can purchase. Look into those suits scientists wear when working near active volcanoes. I don't know what they are called (heat shield suits?) but they apparently work well enough to walk around thousands of tons of molten rock.

temp suit

you guys are out thinking yourselfs.Take the guts from a 12 volt portable igloo cooler.Incorporate to siut with thermostat.60 degree desired.Get rechargable battery wieght down to 10 pounds like you,ll find in electric scooter.Goal will be to a excell run time.My thoughts were for fire fighters brush fires.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back