Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

temp controlled switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

camperhead

I wanting to put together a temp controlled switch using a k type thermocouple to simply turn a relay on and off with the set temp is reached. Any help or suggestions would be great

As it is our nature to try and understand the greater context, I wonder:

- why use a K type thermocouple rather than a thermistor or semiconductor temperature sensor? The thermocouple requires a bit more interface circuitry and so is not the most convenient choice. A K type is not the most accurate choice either so the alternatives, which are not particularly accurate either may be considerably more convenient.
- while a relay is easy to use, it is also slow, noisy, less power-efficient, larger and perhaps even costlier than a semiconductor solution so, why use a relay?

However, to answer your question as originally asked, start with an accurate thermocouple interface:
**broken link removed**
https://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=306

then wire the output of this to a comparator circuit
**broken link removed**
and use a potentiometer in the second input of the comparator to set your desired switching point. Then use the output voltage of the comparator to drive a relay:
**broken link removed**

RadioRon said:
However, to answer your question as originally asked, start with an accurate thermocouple interface:
**broken link removed**
https://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=306

then wire the output of this to a comparator circuit
**broken link removed**
and use a potentiometer in the second input of the comparator to set your desired switching point. Then use the output voltage of the comparator to drive a relay:
**broken link removed**

hi Ron,
Thanks for a well explained link [Comparators.html], I will point OP's asking about Comparators to that site.
Saves constantly repeating the same answers.

Eric

RadioRon said:
- why use a K type thermocouple rather than a thermistor or semiconductor temperature sensor? The thermocouple requires a bit more interface circuitry and so is not the most convenient choice. A K type is not the most accurate choice either so the alternatives, which are not particularly accurate either may be considerably more convenient.
- while a relay is easy to use, it is also slow, noisy, less power-efficient, larger and perhaps even costlier than a semiconductor solution so, why use a relay?
{snip}
I wonder why some of you cant give the OP the credit for having a little bit of common sense. He obviously wants to control an oven at some high temperature, the K type is good to over 2000°F and its accuracy is more than adequate, in most instances. Substituting a thermistor or semiconductor is NOT an option at those temps.
And why should one even consider controlling an oven with anything other that a contactor (relay)?
This is all rhetorical .......... of cause.

Some thermistors will work at those sorts of temperatures.

I would use a small light bulb as a thermistor as it's pretty cheap and reliable, I'd go for a 5W 240V bulb as it'll have a higher resistance that's easier to measure than a 12V bulb.

Also, it's the origional poster's fault for not providing enough information.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back