Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Telephone Headset mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich

Hi

I got this idea to build a little switchbox so that I could listen to the radio
when I was not on the phone.
My first prototype worked fine on my phone at home but not the one at work.
I just built a box with a manual DPDT switch that switched between phone audio and an external input.
It has two jacks for headset in and out to phone.
My phone at work is a Meridian model that i geuss has some smarts in the input jacks and it diverts to the speaker phone as soon as I plug in my box. Impedance issue?
I can hear audio (radio) through headset if I just have that plugged in and not the phone end. So I think my wiring is right.
Can anyone suggest a way around this?
I know next to nothing about phones so any help is appreciatted.
Thanks
:?:

Perhaps you could be a little clearer. You mentioned a telephone headset (implying a mic and a speaker), a phone (another mic and speaker), a speaker on your phone, and a radio (another speaker?). Maybe you could reply and attach a little jpg file of your circuit box.

More info

Hi
I have attached a humble schematic.
It is a PDF file.
I hope this makes what I want to accomplish clearer.
To summarize: I want to switch the headset earpiece to another
source (radio)so I can listen to music when not on the phone.
I find with this circuit will not work with my office phone,
so I think I need an alternative circuit that will not "load" the
input jack of the phone.

Attachments

• Headset.JPG
    Headset.JPG
    13.8 KB · Views: 425
I suspect there is a mis-match between your radio and the phone system - the schematic is OK. First off, you might want to replace the switch with a DPDT type and switch both the hot and ground rather than just the hot lead - you have two different grounds (phone and radio - not necessarily the same potential. Secondly, if you still have a mis-match, you could try to isolate the radio output by putting a capacitor (0.01/0.05 - whatever you have handy) in the hot line to isolate DC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back