Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

tda 7439 PDIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
ST's list of distributors is here:

https://www.st.com/stonline/address/distrib/usa.htm

You've already hit the big ones, and I wouldn't even bother looking at Arrow or Avnet (they will sell you $25 worth of antistatic wrap and aluminumized bags for a couple dollars of part).

Is this for a currently existing circuit board? The pin spacing on the DIP part isn't even standard (0.07"), so it is kinda hard to justify using the DIP part versus a SMT part. If you really need to adapt a SMT part for through-hole use, 2sq" of copper clad board, a sharp xacto knife, some pin headers and a hour or so of time is all you need to hack up a one. (Or jumpered dead-bug style if you aren't picky).

sounds like have you worked with this part
i need it for a prototype
but nonstandard pin spacing???
could it be forced into a breadboard ?
building the adapter sounds like the best bet
thanks for the info

nope, never worked with this part before - but reading datasheets do save a lot of grief later. The pin spacing on these parts is 0.07" versus the standard 0.1" DIP spacing. A 30% difference probably isn't usable in a breadboard.

now this is strange,
I`ve looked at several datasheets for the pdip version and on every one that claimed to be for the pdip30 was actuall for the sdip or sot28. (hope this isnt an omen.;) but ive given up on the pdip now anyway. building a conversion board ought to be quite a challnenge. thinking of milling it out with a dremel router. if I just had a cnc table....

I'd vote for a nice sturdy straightedge and a sharp knife. Again, the "ugly" way out is to epoxy/superglue a chip to, say a 28pin socket and just spend half an hour soldering jumper wires. After making sure it's functional, put a big glop of epoxy/hot glue to keep it from breaking afterwards. It's a character building exercise...

man you must be quick on the draw and a steady hand with a soldering tool !
I tried soldering wires to a smt atmega once
took 20mg of valium and a six pack
by then I was so fucked up I passed out after doing only one side
lookin for any part-time work ?

I do this stuff for a living - Ugly is trying to solder multiple consecutive jumper wires on a .5mm pitch part. 50mil is easy after that. After the first few times, you *will* double check everything before sending out a board.

If you do try to solder the stuff, I'd recommend that you
1) get some ~AWG30 kynar wire - it's like wirewrap stuff, and the insulation holds up a bit better under the heat.
2) solder all the wires on the header side first, then start poking the wires onto the chip itself
3) hot iron, lots of flux, very little solder and you should be done pretty quickly.

Last edited:
thanks hotwaterwizard, thats a great supplier list. Might be able to find a obsolete stk amp I`ve been looking for too
hjames, you were right about the pin pitch alrite. Mike at Ampsbab tried to stick one in a perfboard- no go. Back to building an adapter board. I`m gonna try the toner laser transfer pcb process or cutting the trraces with an xacto blade first tho. Fraid my hands arent as steady as yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back