Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Taboo: Meaning of Freedom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kerim

Don't you know that expressing the personal meaning of the notion "Freedom" is a very hot subject.
I have noticed that even a person who claims being free prefers not to talk about it ;) I guess you know why :)

After all, the way of being free is a relative matter; it is related to the nature (structure) that a being is created (made) of.

For instance, could I give the definition of my "Freedom"?
I will, if some here will have the courage to present their first :p

Kerim

Any definition of "Freedom" is, by its very nature, personal. Thus, we all will have some similarities as well as differences in that definition.

I would hold that one must first differentiate between "freedom" and "license".

For instance, we are all free to think as we wish but we are are, to a greater and lesser degree, also constrained in our actions by whatever social/ethnic/legal taboos/laws we live under.

As an example, in the US we have the "Freedom of speech" but we a have no license to yell "FIRE" in a crowded movie theater when no such fire exists.

The list(s) of such examples is endless.

But, as to your challenge, I will refer to the United States Declaration of Independence:

I believe that Freedom is:
"Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness".

I should add that the license(s) needed to fully express this ideal are myriad and in some cases non-existent...:banghead:.

Thank you, Bob, for rising what I hear of a lot... as the "Freedom of speech".

For instance, I am not sure if people in America used hearing the global rule, known in almost all other countries, that says something like (sorry, no offend intended):
"Let the dogs bark, as long they don't bite".
I mean all people in the world have the right to say whatever they like as long they cannot or don't... you know ;)

For example, I personally don't belong, since I was born about 6 decades ago, to any sort of formal group (scientific, financial, sportive, social, religious, military or political). So I used talking whatever I think of (I have in mind) about any delicate events (local and international) and my personal analyses of their stories... to 'any' people I may meet in person without having any sort of problems. At worst cases, I was seen as a barking dog (though I don't shout ;) ) that doesn't have the means to change anything. But on my side, I have enjoyed the "Freedom of speech" to its highest level and at any time I liked :)

Oh, Spec... Please don't tell me your memory is as short as mine (because of age, since I am about 67).
I was born and live in Aleppo city (Syria).

For instance, it happened that, sometimes, when I join a forum and say where I live, I was accused, by some moderators, of breaking the rules for talking politics ;)
In such cases, I just left in peace after shaking off their dust of my feet ;)

Oh, Spec... Please don't tell me your memory is as short as mine (because of age, since I am about 67).
I was born and live in Aleppo city (Syria).

For instance, it happened that, sometimes, when I join a forum and say where I live, I was accused, by some moderators, of breaking the rules for talking politics ;)
In such cases, I just left in peace after shaking off their dust of my feet ;)
Of course Kerim- sorry.:sorry: I remember now- the pressure sensor thread. I have too many balls in the air at the moment- not just ETO.:arghh:

Be nice if you put your location on your window so people like me don't have to remember. I don't think that would make any difference to the way that the ETO mods would view your posts.

As a general point, I would like it to be mandatory that all members include their location- not only is it interesting but it helps with answering questions and also understanding a person's point of view. In practically every thread we have to keep asking where the OP is from, especially in relation to mains voltage and access to components.

spec

Last edited:
Don't you know that expressing the personal meaning of the notion "Freedom" is a very hot subject.
I have noticed that even a person who claims being free prefers not to talk about it ;) I guess you know why :)

After all, the way of being free is a relative matter; it is related to the nature (structure) that a being is created (made) of.

For instance, could I give the definition of my "Freedom"?
I will, if some here will have the courage to present their first :p

Kerim

Yes. my definition of freedom would be to live in a world where everyone is free to do what they want so long as it does not adversely affect anyone else. A great part of freedom is fairness, facts (education), and wealth.

If you take a blatant example from from ancient history: human sacrifice. It was idiotic to believe that killing some innocent would please the gods and that they in return would ensure a good crop. Not only that, but it was grossly unfair, to put it mildly, to the person being sacrificed.

And without wealth, in the general sense, you are free to do nothing, not even eat.

spec

Last edited:
hi Kerim,

The word Freedom has as many definitions as there are people in the World.

It means whatever the individual wants it to mean at that particular moment in time.

So IMO its a 'cover all', fudge word that has no Global meaning.

Perhaps we should stop using the 'F' word and use more precise words for what we really mean.

E

Last edited:
On my side, only when I managed to live with no serious fear of any sort (I am afraid that this is not possible or not easy to do by the great majority of people on earth), I was able to live real free. For instance, the reasons to have fear are numerous. For a few, there are fear of future, fear of death and fear due to the lack of true/complete knowledge about life.
Fortunately, I didn't meet yet even 'one' sane mature person who thinks he is not free (or he is brainwashed ;) ). This is indeed one of the greatest beauties in our creation. Every person is happy (or satisfied in the least) the way he is. So I don't use arguing because I know in advance that the other side, I might talk to, also sees himself in his right path as I do, even if our paths are very different.

Kerim

On my side, only when I managed to live with no serious fear of any sort (I am afraid that this is not possible or not easy to do by the great majority of people on earth), I was able to live real free.
The great majority of people in the UK for example live without fear.:)

For instance, the reasons to have fear are numerous. For a few, there are fear of future, fear of death and fear due to the lack of true/complete knowledge about life.
Those are not reasonable fears; those things are facts of life.

Fortunately, I didn't meet yet even 'one' sane mature person who thinks he is not free (or he is brainwashed ;) ).
There are millions of people in the world who do not think they are free, and they are not. In one country 70% of the population are slaves for example.

This is indeed one of the greatest beauties in our creation. Every person is happy (or satisfied in the least) the way he is. So I don't use arguing because I know in advance that the other side, I might talk to, also sees himself in his right path as I do, even if our paths are very different.
Your lot in this world are very much a matter of circumstance. If you are born in one country you will be thirsty and hungry and probably die at around 25. Also you will be miserable. If you are born in another country you will have a house, water, food, an education, an automobile, medical care, and wealth and on average die around 80. Also you will be happy. It is as simple as that.:cool:

spec

Last edited:
Your lot in this world are very much a matter of circumstance. If you are born in one country you will be thirsty and hungry and probably die at around 25. Also you will be miserable. If you are born in another country you will have a house, water, food, an education, an automobile, medical care, and wealth and on average die around 80. Also you will be happy. It is as simple as that.:cool:

spec

This is why numerous are heading to our shores.... The understanding is a little clouded.... Most people looking for the freedom end up worse off... The greed of the few is still a major issue.... Slavery in the UK is starting to rise exponentially... The reason:- People desperate for the freedom the UK boasts, end up working as slaves... They spend every penny getting here and as no paperwork exists they are forced to work illegally.... We all know where that ends up!!

I wish they knew the facts before they spend the money... They pass many countries where they would be better off.. Shame really...

This is why numerous are heading to our shores.... The understanding is a little clouded.... Most people looking for the freedom end up worse off... The greed of the few is still a major issue.... Slavery in the UK is starting to rise exponentially... The reason:- People desperate for the freedom the UK boasts, end up working as slaves... They spend every penny getting here and as no paperwork exists they are forced to work illegally.... We all know where that ends up!!

I wish they knew the facts before they spend the money... They pass many countries where they would be better off.. Shame really...
Yes, Ian the whole situation is a disgrace. In any country you always get nasty things happening: murder, rape, theft...

spec

If you are born in another country you will have a house, water, food, an education, an automobile, medical care, and wealth and on average die around 80. Also you will be happy. It is as simple as that.:cool:

This is the thing that many who are "at the top" don't or won't understand. Many born into wealth and power seem to forget that they were "born" into it. And when looking at how people that weren't as lucky live and struggle they tell them,"just work harder".

This is the thing that many who are "at the top" don't or won't understand. Many born into wealth and power seem to forget that they were "born" into it. And when looking at how people that weren't as lucky live and struggle they tell them,"just work harder".
You are dead right- most of us in prosperous countries simply do not know how lucky we are.

This is a very big subject and many aspects just could not be discussed here on ETO because they would not be politically correct.

The thing that bugs me is that there is absolutely no reason why every single country in the world, and hence every person, should not be prosperous. There is only one thing stopping it: stupidity (at all levels).

spec

I guess I should start a new thread in order to see if fear of future, fear of death and the fear due to lack of knowledge are facts of life or not ;)
Its title will be "The Silly Game".

I guess I should start a new thread in order to see if fear of future, fear of death and the fear due to lack of knowledge are facts of life or not ;)
Its title will be "The Silly Game".
Good idea Kerim. I see that as well as a technical man you are also a philosopher. :happy:

spec

The thing that bugs me is that there is absolutely no reason why every single country in the world, and hence every person, should not be prosperous. There is only one thing stopping it: stupidity (at all levels)

Add to that "organized religion". The three biggest religions in the world all came from one, the one of Abraham. But when man/men stepped in, there were some that wanted to lead and be powerful. Thus from one "god" we end up killing others that don't believe the same way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back