Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Switching MOSFETs for a buck converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

not_in_asia

I'm confused about how to make the MOSFET Q1 act as an ideal switch in this buck circuit:

(schematic 1)
Buck Converter.JPG

I need to have the voltage at N2 equal to the voltage at N1 when the transistor is turned on.
I've tried using a frequency generator in a setup similar to that in schematic 2. At N2 I ended up getting a a pulse more like V2 (voltage of the frequency generator) - Veb. I tried some BJT's and MOSFETS for Q1, different resistor values, different setups like schematic 1, different pulse frequencies, and never really got anywhere.

If I get a pulse from a frequency generator or microntroller- for experimental purposes- then how do I set up the pulse at the base/ gate to make the transistor work as an ideal switch?

(schematic 2)
Not ideal switch.jpg

Last edited:
Hi,

The pulse amplitude must be higher than the desired output because that is a voltage follower circuit.
The pulse amplitude with the MOSFET may have to be as much as 10v higher than the output to get it to switch to a low resistance, although it depends on the specific MOSFET used.

Hi,

The pulse amplitude must be higher than the desired output because that is a voltage follower circuit.
The pulse amplitude with the MOSFET may have to be as much as 10v higher than the output to get it to switch to a low resistance, although it depends on the specific MOSFET used.

Thanks. I tried a simulation with a BJT and it worked like you said:

BJT Working Circuit.jpg

However, the same setup with a MOSFET didn't work (it didn't work when I upped V2 to 20 V either).

MOSFET circuit not working.jpg

For switching converters MOSFETs are recommended instead of BJTs. Why doesn't the MOSFET circuit operate the same as the BJT circuit?

Attachments

• BJT.asc
    1.1 KB · Views: 185
  • MOSFET.asc
    1 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
Typically a PMOSFET is used for a buck circuit with the source terminal connected to the positive input voltage and the gate voltage driven between the input voltage and ground.

If you want to use an NFET, the gate must be driven ~10V above its source. Since its source is biased to the converter's output voltage, then the gate must be driven to Vout+10V. That is why it is better to use a PFET, because it turns on fully when the gate is driven ~10V more negative than its source, which is usually connected to the converter's input voltage.

If you want to use an NFET, the gate must be driven ~10V above its source. Since its source is biased to the converter's output voltage, then the gate must be driven to Vout+10V. That is why it is better to use a PFET, because it turns on fully when the gate is driven ~10V more negative than its source, which is usually connected to the converter's input voltage.

Sweet, thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back