Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

switching electronic appliances using pc

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi,
The circuit should work OK, I see they also provide the program for the PC.

If your PC, OS is Windows XP you may require to download one or two *.dll's
in order to control the parallel port.

BTW, that image you have posted contains a cookie!

nightcatz said:
mr.gibbs if have tried this before can u give me the details of ur project

I have a number of projects that I can be controlled via the PC's parallel port.

What devices do you want to control?

nightcatz said:
hi guys ,
I have found a ckt on ezone that can help us control electronc appliances using a pc.....it says that it can be done by controlling the parallel port of the pc .......anyone pls tell me the merits and demerits of the ckt....the link below has the full details of the project......https://www.electronic-circuits-diagrams.com/computersimages/computersckt1.shtml

**broken link removed**

hello sirs,
Im a graduating student, and our group have this for our final project. Although, its not really the exact copycat because we are using required to use PIC on in, and one of my instructors said that we must also be able to control the devices by a manual switch. We are using the serial port to send data to the PIC.
Now I have this idea of using a keypad for the manual manipulation of the devices. The manual switch is a need because we will be using a LAN connection, and its (the manual switch) an advantage if the server is down.
See, the concept is to monitor and control the aplliances of a small building.

And then my question(s)
Whats the advantage of using RS232 over RS485, we only have to present
minuture of the whole system.

Can anyone of you give us idea how to put up the manual switch?
Can we use a keypad for this( the switch)? Were controlling atleast 4 devices
in each room.

Our group is composed of 3 female seniors and we only have less than 4 months to accomplish this. I would appreciate your suggestions...

generally ...as per the project that is given above power supply to any device can be controlled using the relay....i wanna use this circuit to control any device by controlling its powersupply

akhotu said:
hello sirs,
Im a graduating student, and our group have this for our final project. Although, its not really the exact copycat because we are using required to use PIC on in, and one of my instructors said that we must also be able to control the devices by a manual switch. We are using the serial port to send data to the PIC.
Now I have this idea of using a keypad for the manual manipulation of the devices. The manual switch is a need because we will be using a LAN connection, and its (the manual switch) an advantage if the server is down.
See, the concept is to monitor and control the aplliances of a small building.

And then my question(s)
Whats the advantage of using RS232 over RS485, we only have to present
minuture of the whole system.

Can anyone of you give us idea how to put up the manual switch?
Can we use a keypad for this( the switch)? Were controlling atleast 4 devices
in each room.

Our group is composed of 3 female seniors and we only have less than 4 months to accomplish this. I would appreciate your suggestions...
hi,
Please open your own thread, your topic is different from the OP's query.

nightcatz said:
generally ...as per the project that is given above power supply to any device can be controlled using the relay....i wanna use this circuit to control any device by controlling its powersupply
hi,
As it required to operate the relay for your device, why dont you use the circuit you have posted?:confused:

i want to use the circuit that I have posted ....but i wanna know if the circuit is tested by someone else ...can u tell me if this circuit works fine .....and also pls tell me list of dll files needed to download to allow windows xp to configure the printer port

nightcatz said:
i want to use the circuit that I have posted ....but i wanna know if the circuit is tested by someone else ...can u tell me if this circuit works fine .....and also pls tell me list of dll files needed to download to allow windows xp to configure the printer port

hi,
As I said, the circuit looks OK.

The two dll's I would get are:
INPOUT32.DLL and DLLPORT.DLL

Eric

thanks for the concern .......and one more thing is there any chance of my computer being spoiiled because of hign voltage or any thing like that

nightcatz said:
thanks for the concern .......and one more thing is there any chance of my computer being spoiiled because of hign voltage or any thing like that

No the printer port is isolated by the OPTOCOUPLER so it’s separating the relay drive circuit.

For a small load a small Relay will be ok but for a large load you must choose a big Relay according to the current drawn by the AC mains.

Also don’t forget to put the Back EMF protecting diode.

nightcatz said:

hi,
If you want to test your PC's parallel port control, without the complete circuit, make the circuit marked in
RED.
If you have a meter you could measure the Voltage on the output pin, about +0.4Vlo and +4Vhi.

Do you have a port test program?

Have attached a zipped test program, exe and source.
You require the free Visual Basic runtime files, from the web, to run the *.exe

Last edited:
mr.gibbs can u tell me if i can use an 150ohm relay in lieu of the mentioned 100ohm ....and when i tried measuring the voltage across the parallel port it showed a value of 4.5volts all the time there is no change in voltage

gayan....where should i keep the back emf proection diode,can utell me how should i choose the relay according to the component ...pls explain

nightcatz said:
mr.gibbs can u tell me if i can use an 150ohm relay in lieu of the mentioned 100ohm ....and when i tried measuring the voltage across the parallel port it showed a value of 4.5volts all the time there is no change in voltage

hi,
Yes you can use a 150R relay, providing its rated at 6Vdc.
The 'back emf diode' is already shown in the circuit, its the 1N4001.

Have you downloaded, unzipped and installed the zip file I posted?
Are the two DLL's in the Windows/System directory?
Have you downloaded and installed the Visual Basic runtime files?

Is the test program I included in the zip running OK?

Are you measuring the voltage on the connector between pin #2 and pin #18?

Check your Bios settings, during Bootup and tell me what the parallel port is set for.. ?

If you answer all these questions it will make it possible to help you.

i have downloaded and installed your zip file and the program prompted for a dll file i have done so and it has worked and a program by name parallel port #1 has appeared
yes i have tested the voltage between and it measured 0.04v when measured between 2 and 18
the parallel port is set to ecp mode address is 378 interrupt is irq7 ...
.....waiting forur reply

nightcatz said:
i have downloaded and installed your zip file and the program prompted for a dll file i have done so and it has worked and a program by name parallel port #1 has appeared
yes i have tested the voltage between and it measured 0.04v when measured between 2 and 18
the parallel port is set to ecp mode address is 378 interrupt is irq7 ...
.....waiting forur reply

With the parport2 program running, if you click the "0" button on the 'Write to 378H' the program red LED should light up,,, pin#2 on the parallel port connector should go high ie: +5V. Pressing "0" alternately should toggle pin#2 high/low.

Click on the 'port enable read timer' box, the bottom LED's should show as, left hand LED green and the other four red. If yes, you should check you wiring to the connector for pin #2 and pin #18.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back