switch woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

desijays

Hello everyone,

I have managed to control a DC motor using the pwm module on the 16f877a. I tried to vary the duty cycle and it worked flawlessly although at 20% or less duty cycle the motor would not even turn.

Now I want to control the direction of rotation of the motor based on user input. So I am using a small mechanical switch. It gets power from a 5V supply to simulate the logical high and logical low states.

So when the switch is "on" the output is a logical high or 5V. But when the switch is in the "off" state it does not output a logical low. Instead there is no measurable output what so ever... I believe logical low would be 20% to 25% of logical high. But in this case the switch output 0% in the "off" state.

Is there any alternate method I can use to perform the same or is there any modification I can make to the existing circuit to make it output a logical low?

Thank you.

Hi,
For an active high switch, you need a pull down resistor. When the switch is not on, the input pin will be pulled low.

Hello,

Is it any different from a normal resistor? If I am to buy it from a shop, what do I ask the shop keeper for, so that he knows I want a 'pull down' resistor and not someother resistor? And what ohms?

sorry if that question sounds naive!

Thank you

It is just a resistor. Terms like pull up, pull down, and current limiting refer to the way it is used.

Use a 10K resistor between the input pin and ground, that will keep the input low as long as the switch is open. The switch goes between the input pin and +5. When the switch is closed the pin goes high.

You can also do a pull up. Use the 10K resistor between the pick input and +5. The switch is tied to ground. When you close the switch the voltage at the pin goes low.

If you get the motor to turn at 20% duty cycle you are doing well. Below that the friction and other loses use up the energy and the motor will not turn.

Are you reversing the motor with an h-bridge?

Last edited:

hi,
You have not said which port on the PIC you have the switch, some port pins have weak internal pull up resistors that can be enabled by the program.

For a hardware resistor solution, I would suggest a 4K7 or 10K resistor, fom +5V to the port pin, if you plan to pull the port input Low.

This would give a resistor current of 1mA or 0.5mA, enough to 'wet' the contacts on most switches.

Do you follow.?

3v0 said:
Are you reversing the motor with an h-bridge?

hello 3v0,

Yes i am using the L298N dual h-bridge thing. That is how i managed to control the motor.

I will try the resistor you mentioned.

Thank you for clarifying that part about pull ups and pull downs.

hello eric,

I am using port D on the PIC. I think I'll try the hardware solution though. Are you talking about port B, when you mentioned 'some port pins have weak internal pull up resistors'?

And yes, I do follow 75%. When I try it out, I'll understand 100%.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…