Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

switch not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

jorge12

My cluster switch in my car melted so i tried replacing it with a standard flick switch
but when i turn it on the lights don't illuminate. I'm guessing it's because the either the resistance in the switch is too high or the dash lights require the current to be of a specific value. Could this be the case? How do i get around it?

My cluster switch in my car melted so i tried replacing it with a standard flick switch
but when i turn it on the lights don't illuminate. I'm guessing it's because the either the resistance in the switch is too high or the dash lights require the current to be of a specific value. Could this be the case? How do i get around it?

hi,:)
It could be that the reason the cluster switch melted still exists and the switch failed because of a short in the wiring loom.

Basically a loom short caused overheating of the wiring and the switch.

Last edited:
hi,:)
It could be that the reason the cluster switch melted still exists and the switch failed because of a short in the wiring loom.

Basically a loom short caused overheating of the wiring and the switch.

I agree and perhaps the new switch has already failed.

What's a loom?

Last edited:

What's a loom?

Hi Mike,

A "wiring loom" is just another term for a bunch of cables--often with related functions--bundled together. Check out Cable harness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I also agree that if the original switch failed due to another problem, that other problem is probably still there and could be the root cause of the whole thing.

Torben

What's a loom?

A 'cable loom', is a sometimes called a 'cable form' or 'cable harness'

Its a preformed wiring method, many manufacturers use a preformed assembly when building equipment, often made by an outside contractor.:)

Thanks Torben, figured as much. So many terms to learn, what is one to do?

A 'cable loom', is a sometimes called a 'cable form' or 'cable harness'

Its a preformed wiring method, many manufacturers use a preformed assembly when building equipment, often made by an outside contractor.:)

Okay, I think I got it now. I am more familiar with harness than loom.

Car loom problems can be a real nightmare, better him than me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back