Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

sweet hot laser

Status
Not open for further replies.

daviddoria

i saw in a movie last night a guy on a bomb squad point a laser at a wire and the plastic melted right off!! can i buy one of these??

thanks
david

These are Class 3 (>5mW) LASERS and general public can not use it without a license. You can use Class - 1 (<1mW) or Class 2 lasers (>1mW and < 5mW) which requires no license but the power is not sufficient to even burn a hole in a paper.

and i have a question.....
does a cd -rom use class 1, and a cd-rw class 3?
and another ting, i heard somebody invented a specil disk that has multiple tracks, and there is a laser beam for reading each track, something similar to a dvd.
does anybody know anything about that?

CD-ROM drives use Class - 1. Don't know about CD R/W drives.

anyone have a license and want to buy me one of these?

anyone want to have a fun project and build one?

haha
david

LOL :)
You have to get a licence to use it not for buying it. :)

sweet, then where can i buy one??

you guys think i'm kidding....lol

how much would something like that cost anyway?

david

welll, i dont think that it is necessary to cost much, but it will be quite hard to get, and you will probebly have to obey many conditions to let you use it.

30mW is just not enough to burn anything except anyones eye-retina.

00TWINE said:
so then could you modify a cd-rw laser to melt a hole in a wire? or do you need even more powerful than 30mw?
Don't mess around. It's HIGHLY DANGEROUS!!!! Find something else to play with.

so OOTWINE, you mean that my cd player uses class 2? it think tha for portable is enough class1, but i agree with the cr-rw, you need lots of power.
but why qould you need such power for a cdrom?
ill chect the next time ill open my computer, because it is quite hard to see.

hmm Im not sure what youre trying to get at, but I didnt say anything about cd laser classes.

Im thinking about building a robot, so extra things likes lasers and tazers are add ons im considering. If a cd-rw laser isnt powerful enough to burn anything other than someone's retina, then there isnt point trying to modify one to use on there.

well, i dont thiknk that you should use lasers. even lasers that cant burn anything cand easily burn your retina. so if the light reflects in something and yhen in your eye?
quite dangerous.

To successfully burn something with a low power laser around 20mW, you would definately need to focus to a point, and would have to be held at a localised point for a while(would not work over a distance of more than 5 cm).Black electrical tape is best for testing with as it has good light absorbtion properties. To make use of burning something using the straight output from a laser itself, you would need a min of 150mW (this would only work with a distance of upto 20cm), higher powers would enable burning over greater distances.

I used to have a 1watt Argon-ion that I could burn the plastic on the top of my washing machine with, distance was about 3 metres from laser to WM. This was great but no way portable as weighed too much and consisted of PSU's, transformers and a connection to 240vac @ 20amps.

Mazz

wow, that would be nice.
have a laser, hear your naghbour's stereo is too lod, and just burn it! :lol:
but it is indeeed not portable. 2 bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back