Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SUS P4B mobo POST failed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosaic

Hi all:

This is a mobo I had repaired b4, it developed a swollen 820uF 6.3V cap by the AGP socket. I replaced it and the mobo came back.
A year later, no POST again....no beeps when the Video card or RAM removed....but it does spin fans and obey a forced pwr down.
5V and 12V are fine.
HDD spins up.

Pulled all the elec. caps and tested em....they seem fine. BUT...the row of 1500uf ,6.3V caps (configured as parallel bank) next to the CPU test shorted. I pulled them and the caps are good, but the pads test shorted. Even with a .35V continuity test to avoid switching any PN junctions. asus_p4p800_deluxe.jpg

The pic is a similar board showing the row of caps nearest the CPU. There are a few heavy inductors and FETs nearby as well.

Since this is a multilayer board I really don't know how to proceed.

I guess its time to trash it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back