Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Surveillance System........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rescue1

Hello everyone,I have some questions regarding a surveillance system that I want to set up for a new house I just bought.What I want is 2 cameras of some type(IP or regular) mounted off the front and back of the house.I would like these cameras to record on my computers hard drive,but also have the signal be modulated on a high channel throughout the house on the TV's.The problem is I would like to keep it relativly low budget as my money went into the house,and how would I accomplish both tasks as listed above with using one type of camera.Now camera servers are out of the question because of price.I see that there are cable amplifier boxes for the network box that also have an input that can be modulated out to the tv's,but how would I hook up two cameras,and also hook it up to the computer??I also have seen video cards on tiger direct.com that support all sorts of inputs.but how then could I get the signal to the Tv's??In a nuttshell what I am trying to figure out is how to integrate everything into one system,and can I use a conventional camera,or should I use IP addressible cameras..I can build devices to save money if needed,like format converters.Any help would be appreciated,thank you............ :)

Well, you could pull the signal off the camera line and send it to the computer BEFORE the modulator stage for the TVs.

Or, you could get a TV Capture card for your computer that accepts a coax input and get a splitter so after the signal is modulated it's ran into your TV and computer. You can get alot of TV Capture cards that will suffice for relatively cheap, as in, under 50$ last time I looked. I'm not sure what type of software would be required to record the incoming channels though... or if you'd need a different capture card for each channel.

Is the neighborhood really that bad? :oops:

:D .....No the neighborhood is not bad at all,but the wife is a scaredy cat and this would make her more comfortable which equals less bi******.Plus I just love to do assorted electronic projects so it was no big deal.And you never know when some hoodlums might mess my truck(I love my Hemi).Anyway,thank you for the ideas,I was thinking maybe I would spend a little more money and get one of those camera sequencers,then give that output to the modulator then the computer.This would put both cameras on one screen,on one channel.Any other ideas,thanks again...... :p

Any other ideas,thanks again......

it would be pretty cool to make a laser beam circle your entire house, then wen ur asleep, if ne1 crosses it, it sets off an alarm. the best thing is, it will only cost u about 10 buks (assuming you know how to solder and put together circuits)

CCTV options

If you use a sequencer the display will show one image for a few seconds then the other - the resultant flashing drives me potty so we have a quad unit which splits the screen into four and puts one image in each corner.
Actually the quad unit allows for either mode of operation.
**broken link removed**

The video out of the quad unit goes straight into the TV's SCART connector for display, that leaves some sort of video in card to sort out for the computer's video capture program.

ps. I use cheap video cameras - this one works well in low light.
**broken link removed**

high security ?

zachtheterrible said:
it would be pretty cool to make a laser beam circle your entire house, then wen ur asleep, if ne1 crosses it, it sets off an alarm.
If the postie shuffles up to the door and complains that his legs just fell off you know the laser is a bit too powerful :?: :roll:

you dont adjust it so it will hit his leg, you go for the neck . . . no complaining :wink:

there is heaps of cheap stuff out there that will do this.

Google: video camera capture surveillance

first one was 4 camera card with software - $98 usd
**broken link removed**

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back