Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Super Efficient LEDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

DerStrom8

Super Moderator
Just had to share:

69 picowatts
What am I going to do with a picowatt LED?

Some of my power supplies run hot. If I place a LED on the supply, with out hooking up the leads, it will emit IR. "zero power IR LED"

69 picowatts
What am I going to do with a picowatt LED?

Some of my power supplies run hot. If I place a LED on the supply, with out hooking up the leads, it will emit IR. "zero power IR LED"

Hahaha, I hear ya :D

I guess the interesting part is that they have discovered a way to increase efficiency. Though it may only give off 69pW now, the same technology and research could go into producing a super-efficient (useful) LED. I see a whole new line of electronics being born right here....

The way I read it; at very low power levels the LED absorbs energy from heat generated by near parts.
30pwatts of electricity is put into the LED.
39pwatts of heat enters the LED from the hot environment.
69pwatts of light exits the LED.

This seems to work fine with the laws of physics.

Power has to come from some ware. There is no free lunch, even if the lunch is so small you can't measure it.

The way I read it; at very low power levels the LED absorbs energy from heat generated by near parts.

This seems to work fine with the laws of physics.

Power has to come from some ware. There is no free lunch, even if the lunch is so small you can't measure it.

I agree completely. There is no free energy here. They are simply harnessing the extra heat energy and turning it into light. Nothing against the laws of physics there.

Hi,

I connect my LED up to a properly tuned antenna and help light it up from the free RF around here :)
Hey if it can produce audio in a set of headphones with a crystal set that is unpowered, it can produce light in an LED.

That's very cool. Literally. :) If they can really make it work larger scale that would mean lights that COOL your room as they are lighting it up, instead of what we have now...

This is a fun university project but I can't see a commercial use. The LED must be run with the tinniest amount of power so it does not heat. The LED must be the coldest part on a hot board.

How many zeros are there in a pico-watt? I know what a 1 watt LED looks like. Can you find a pwatt LED in the dark?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back