Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Super Bright LED's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Everyone,

I ordered a lot of 200 blue super brights and just wanted to know if there is any diffrence in protecting them, meaning the resistor value. I usually use 1K for a regular 3 or 5mm, do the super brights need anything special ? more or less resistance ? or am I ok with 1000R. Thanks again in advance, Jim

Bill, I wanted to add that I looked at the site you sent, didnt say much about SB's but I put a 3K ohm in line with a blue SB and it about scared the you know what outta me !!! They are really bright, I had no idea. Jim

9V DC from a walkie talkie charger. I have the charger paralell with a set of alligator clips. I got the same brilliance on a 9V battery, I was looking direct top center, they'll work well for the porch flashers I make for people. They use em for panick situations we also have a few elderly neighbors my parents look after, I put em in and control em with a transmitter and receiver using the Normally open on the receiver in case something happens and they cant get to a phone, older people wont buy cell phones, drives us all nuts.

It depends what the charger was really giving out - if an unregulated design, the voltage could be much higher than 9v.

But if it was 9v, the LED current would have been around 1.9mA.

Andrew

If you have a 9V supply, a 3.5V blue LED and a 3k current-limiting resistor then there is only 9V - 3.5V= 5.5V across the resistor therefore the current is 5.5V/3k= 1.83mA.

Cheap Chinese LEDs are ordinary dim old ones in a case that focusses the beam into a narrow angle then they are very bright only if they shine directly into your eyes. A little to the side you might see nothing.
High quality modern LEDs are very bright over a wide angle so they can be seen well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back