Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Suggestions for increasing the thickness of polarized NEMA 1-15 plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeepItSimpleStupid

Most Helpful Member
RE: Increasing the thickness of polarized NEMA 1-15 plugs

I have a few of basically two items which apparently have manufacturing problems. the blades need to be about 0.015" ticker based on the standard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEMA_connector

Most items are very low wattage. Say 5-15 W.
1. A 6" pigtail with the ability to plug in 3 things into the cube. So it's good for small chargers so they don't take up a lot of outlet space. It was sold by Radio Shack.
2. The other is two Lithium chargers sold by Aliexpress. It has a flip plug that should hang on the outlet.
3. I do use a 6" extension when using a hair dryer that has a built in GFCI. The GFCI has an integral plug too. Of course, this is not used for very long.

The prongs have a silver like appearance.

Some options:
They all start with 0.015 thick brass or Stainless. shim stock.

1. A friend may have a battery tab welder.
2. I could change the plug on the pigtails.
3. Epoxy (regular) the thickening spacer to the prongs.
4. Try to obtain some conductive epoxy. Not sure if they will ship residential (Hazmat) Possiblly not ORM-D. I think the material is effectively non-hazardous except for the Silver when dry. I would dispose of the material dry as consumer ewaste, but I would not try to buy any until the weather gets better.

Any other ideas.

Do they need to be thicker to make electrical contact? Or just thicker so it doesn't fall out of the socket? You could always kind of...bend both prongs so they splay outwards a bit.

Primarily so they don't fall out of the socket.

I wish I really found the problem earlier. Finding the spec was first on the agenda.

The charger is kind neat. it does have a display and prongs that can be positioned onto almost any cell phone battery and it's polarity agnostic.

I'd just bend the prongs so they splay a bit outwards then but maybe the problem is worse than what I am imagining.

Does it come out easy with all outlets, or just the one you are using? My concern would be that the socket is not up to specifications, worn out. Most sockets should have enough tension in them to hold the plug in firmly, even if the tabs are a bit thinner.
Maybe replace the socket and see if that fixes the problem. Modifying the plug itself may be a violation of the electrical code, and if you get a fire due to a bad socket, your insurance may not cover you because of "illegal modification" of something simple as the plug tabs... Insurance companies are always looking for an "out" to avoid paying up.
If the socket is ok, then don't use the bad plugs, replace them.

The blade thickness does not meet specifications. It's about 0.015" too thin.

It would be possible to replace the plug n the short cords although 2-prong polarized plugs are hard to come by although I can get them.
Basically these: **broken link removed** Locally, I usually have to special order though.

Many have poor strain reliefs. Right angle would probably be better. I just found these http://www.snakeheadvintage.com/rig...ed-electrical-plug-with-90-degree-wire-entry/ online. This **broken link removed** has more pics, but the wire strain relief seems poor. Not sure an underwriters knot will help.

The L-ION charger has a plug similar to this http://chargerito.com/products/micro-usb-chargerito?variant=3265816854554 It flips out. I can;t replace the plug.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back