Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Suggestion sought

Status
Not open for further replies.

samarsingla

Hello all,
I am starting a physics project which needs to measure 10 analog voltages(it varies from 0 to 5 volts) and then the readings have to be processed according to an algorithm, some additions, multiplications and integrating two times for every reading. Can someone suggest me some board that could do this? I am new in this so don't have much idea about it. Something, support for which is readily available on the internet and is fairly powerful. Thanx. Please reply soon.

Just about any 8 bit micro controller will do. The majority of people use PIC's but I prefer Atmel's AVR micro controllers myself. Both AVR's and PICS are supported by vast communities of users, and the companies themselves both with free assemblers and C compilers. Many people on this forum seem to prefer pics (perhaps just because they're more popular) There is a website dedicated to AVR's called AVRFreaks.net. The chips are going to run you from between 5 and 10 dollars. Most AVR's with an ADC allow up to 8 channels, if you need more you can use an analog multiplexor chip. Most of the slower ones run at a maximum of 8mhz, but the mid range ones (6-7 dollars) all top out at 16-20mhz speed. A great many have built in multiplier but it depends on exactly what your algorythm is and how much math is really behind it to determine if the micro controller is going to be able to do it for you. The only other option would be to use a microcontroller to act as the analog input and transmit the data to a PC for processing. Spell out the specs you need and it'll be easier to recommend an appropriate setup.

Thanx for the reply. As of now, I don't know all I would be needing but i feel AVRs would be a good point to start. Lets see if I face some problem I could switch to something else.

PIC or AVR your choice, the chips are cheap and you can hand build the programmers if you don't want to spend the money on a development board or one of the inexpensive ($20 dollars or so) programmers made by various companies. Once you grasp the basics, if you run into a problem you can always add support logic or circuitry to solve it. Micro controllers are very flexible, and both the PIC and AVR lines are so incredibly well supported you only have to have a mild desire to learn about them to create something.

If you want a quicker solution and are willing to pay a few $$$ an Industrial Controller or data logger may fit the bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back