Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

suggested ideas for automotive app

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDEB

Have a device that is powered off the vehicles electrical system.
Device should be turned on while traveling the interstate to avoid hitting deer anmd other wildlife.
Several ideas on connecting to vehicle supply:
cigarette lighter plug, plug it in and go. Problem is routing to device mounted under the hood or routing just the speaker wires through firewall. Cigarette lighter plugs are $10 +. cheaper to connect to switched supply.

Have unit under hood connected to switched supply, then route one wire to drivers compartment that driver pushes a push button that activates an scr to turn on device. Monetary push button triggers scr. Car is turned off device gets turned off as well. Have an LED to indicate unit is active

open for suggestions

trying to make as few wires through firewall

here are the two ideas
Wonder if a wireless switching circuit could be utilized? at a low cost.

Attachments

• car supply connections.PNG
    car supply connections.PNG
    19 KB · Views: 160
no its not a new idea just improved and so far it looks like this actually works.
Them deer whistles do not work well and a min of 48mph for them to actually work.
Lets just say a better mouse trap.
Trying to make installiation as easy as possiable. Idea of drilling holes in ones firewall is not a real good idea as wires can short toi ground etc.
An RF wireless switching circuit would be nice? Only need a few feet from transmitter to receiver.
I am basically trolling for ideas.

Hi MrDEB,

most cars have an illuminated gloves compartment.

Why not route the cable from there (in front of the light switch) to your circuit? The cable can be run easily out to the dashboard.

Another way: Route the cable directly from the cigarette lighter terminals to your target circuit.

Boncuk

I think this is much ado about nothing. I use a grommet when I run wires through a fire wall. Other people mount a connector to the fire wall and plug their wire into the connector.

If you have a Haynes Manual for your car, you might find you have unused wires running through your firewall already. Seems like it's cheaper to run wiring for all possible accessories than just those needed for you model's setup. Then, just use T-taps to connect your circuits on both ends. (**broken link removed**)

Ken

I never thought about using T-Taps.
This device I hope to market and want to have the instalkliation as easy and untenical as possible.

If you're going commercial, then my "unused wire" idea is not practical. Maybe you could just tap into something like the fog light switch, that's generally not on all the time. But then again, not all cars and trucks have fog lights. It'll be difficult to find a simple, "one-size-fits-all" solution.

Ken

That's what I am trying to come up with
ONE SIZE FITS ALL
Thats why I was leaning towards just connecting to a power source (constant power)
then have an SCR that a monintary pushbutton to turn it on.
A wireless push button is perhaps the best but implementing?
Then we get to the mounting of tweeters. Thinking just a bracket or use velcro tape.

How much current draw? If low, might consider just taping into the lights (headlight/running), since most roadkills happen at night, or poor light, you would most likely have your lights on anyway. My 2000 Grand Prix truns the lights on automatic, when the car is running. During the daytime, you should be watching, and able to see things in plenty of time to avoid hitting them.

If/when the Obama/Gore Climate Control bill ever passes, most of the older vehicles won't pass the requirement, although I'm sure there will be something that will allow people to keep driving them, least for a while. Think most newer vehicles have the lights on these days.

How much range does this have, will it make much difference at 80 MPH (or faster)? I've got sort of a lead-foot when traffic is light or non-existent, being fewer obstructions, and unlikely a cop is hiding behind the bushes, hunting for speeders. If there is one, he knows I'll be miles away, before he can zip up...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back